X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outdoor TV hookup ideas

We are wanting to have a 19" TV outside of our home attached to our deck for yearround use. Can you help us with some ideas of how to go about this??

Re: Outdoor TV hookup ideas

Anyone that has ideas on the year round outdoor TV hookup please respond!!!

Comment

More info is probably needed. Is the deck covered, type of TV, do you plan to leave it outside year-round, etc.
      Give the forum members some time, they'll help you.

Comment

Originally posted by tchads View Post
        More info is probably needed. Is the deck covered, type of TV, do you plan to leave it outside year-round, etc.
        Give the forum members some time, they'll help you.

I agree, can you tell us a bit more about the house etc , where is the tv going etc
        Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
        New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

build some type of a "weather resistant Cabinet" to house it in and open up the doors when you want to watch it, then close it up when your done to protect from the elements. have it wired properly to meet code for safety.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Ok the TV will most likely be about a 19" and we have a harness in the basement which holds another TV that is another room. I have been toldl now that that is something that we can use. The hot tub is off of our lower deck area. The idea is is that we can use the bottom of the upper portion of the deck to put the harness up there. But, now how do we protect it??

Comment

Not sure what a 'harness' is, never heard that used to refer to a TV or any of its connecting parts.

If you are in Illinois then you get some tough winters right? Extreme cold is tough on electronic equipment. Look in the manual if you still have it and you will probably find that the operating temperature and humidity will be greatly exceeded by placing the TV outdoors. The operating temp is most likely around 40°F to 120°F. Acceptable STORAGE temperatures will be a little lower, maybe as low as 10°F, but that is for long term unpowered storage. Many electronic devices now-a-days have "instant on" features. This works by passing a small current through some circuits in the TV so that they are is a near ready state, kinda like when you put your laptop to sleep instead of turning it completely off. That meas they will draw power even when off, and they will draw even more power than normal because the TV is sitting in a unheated space so it will be trying to keep the TV circuits warmed up and ready to turn on. If this is an older TV (CRT type) that you don't care about you might get a year out of it. The extreme cold will not be good for the coating inside the CRT either.

In the summer in your neck of the woods you could probably make it work if you have a cabinet that is watertight. To be on the safe side unplug the TV when not in use. Then if it should get wet it will not trip a breaker or start a fire, and it will use less power and save electricity.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Condensation on the insides will corrode it out quickly. Being that in mid February the USA changes over to mostly digital TV broadcasting you may as well give a try with an older TV and figure it doesn't have to last that long. There's just no way I would put a good TV outdoors even in a special enclosure unless it had total climate control 24/7/365.

Now if you just got to have a TV when in your hot tub, get a little rechargable battery powered one (much safer for you) and use it. Then take it inside once you're done.

Thought: Do you have a large window where from your hot tub you can see it? If yes you might fix up a way to place a TV where you can see it through the window as wanted and then close the shade during other times. Direct hot sunshine on a TV will kill it fast too.

Comment

I agree with all of the above. I am a low voltage integrator - lots of audio/video. I went back to find an issue of CEPro magazine...I remembered an article specifically talking about this topic. Check it out WWW.CEPRO.COM (August 2008 - Cover story - "An Outside Job"). Lots of good info in this write up as well as 'environmentally friendly' A/V products just for your application. I am not sure of your budget but this project is probably not something you want to pinch pennies on...You will end up paying for your electronics over and over if you don't respect the great outdoors! The weather is the BIGGEST factor for your setup. Take care to notice factors such as sunlight/ambient light, (glare), speaker placement/projection vs. outside sounds and noises, and size consideration - the space is different than it is inside. I have seen a big increase in interest in these types of projects...Lighting, sound, and video as well as general surveillance and access control. Good luck!

Comment

Sadly for now no portable battery powered TV will be able to receive the new digital signal!
                    They are working on producing new small portable hd TVs but I guess for the next few years no joy! All battery TVs right now are analog only!

Call your Spa retailer he may provide you with some options. I recall seeing a spa with LED lights and a flat screen TV that lifts up when you press a button.

As far as outdoor use you have some serious obstacles to face. The range of hot and cold, wet and dry weather will put a toll on the life of whatever TV you'll place outside.

Harness??? is this your way of telling us you are on cable or satellite TV?
                    If you use an exterior TV antenna you can possibly receive local "off air" TV channels.

At your spa you will need a gfci outlet for the TV and coax cable with lightning protection from the antenna or satellite dish or cable box. Be certain it's a TV with remote control as you really don't want to be in the "water" and touch the TV. They usually have a two wire cord and are not grounded. They have typically a floating chassis and if you plug the TV in wrong [plug polarity] you may be establishing a serious and dangerous shock hazard!

Perhaps a smaller 20" LCD/DVD combination TV on some sort of cart you can roll out to the spa may be an easier solution. This way you can avoid those damn commercials and watch a good movie.

Let us know what you decide to do

Cactus Man

Comment

First of all thank you to all of you that have helped with your ideas. We actually have entertained the idea of getting a small 19" LCD and putting it in a cart with doors having it be a cammericial plastic one. (The cart) And, then rolling it out and rolling it back in at the end of use. That seems to the winner.

So for now that is the idea...

Comment

If you have cable or satellite check out this site. I have one and it works great. I bring a portable TV out to the garage when I'm working there. You have to have line of sight to the receiver box to change channels or use an RF remote and you still need AC power to the remote location. But you do not have to buy or rent a cable box and run cables to it. I am using mine to transmit about 30 feet away and through two walls and still get a good picture.

http://www.x10videosender.com/
                        When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Comment

Ok the "harness" sounds like a wall mount for a flat screen TV

If it's under the deck they make a vinyl material to cover the underside of the upper deck. I forget what it's called, sorry but it makes the under side patio area usable even in the rain. It channels water to a gutter mounted on the rim of the upper deck. You still have to find a TV that will work outdoors.

I have a flat 20" panel LCD mounted in the corner of my kitchen but if I'm on the deck I can swing it around and have it face out the window. Can't hear it but at least I can watch the ballgame while I'm burning the hamburgers

Comment

Working...
                          X