X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double 20 amp Breaker question

I have some 20amp double pole breakers can I remove the "pin" and use them as single pole breakers?

Re: Double 20 amp Breaker question

Originally posted by Kungur View Post
    I have some 20amp double pole breakers can I remove the "pin" and use them as single pole breakers?
    No, use twin circuit breakers if your load center will accept them.

Comment

What circuit breakers (brand and type) do you have and do you mean the handle tie pin or some other pin? The more info you can post the better.

Comment

I suppose you could but I don't think you should. It might depend on the brand, maybe someone else will know for sure. The tie bar is just a safety device to ensure both legs are always turned off together. They are there to make sure no one accidentally works on a 240v or multiwire circuit with one leg unknowingly left hot. Double pole breakers should have a common internal trip, so if one trips so will the other one regardless of the tie bar. If you seperate the handles and use them as individual breakers and one trips so will the other anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Kungur View Post

If the breaker is able to be seperated & installed as individual breakers, it should work but bear in mind it will void your CSA or UL approval. If for example there is an insurance investigation for an insurance claim it will nullify your claim because you have now use an unapprove product because you have remove the tie bar.

Comment

Working...
          X