X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kichen junction box

During renovation of my old kitchen inside the walls I found 3 energized wires 14/2 (don’t know where thy coming from downstairs)
    I want to install accessible junction box to keep those wires safe.
    My question is: should I separate hot (black) wire and install 3 separate Marrette for each cable or I can use only 1marrett for (hot black) and by doing this connect all 3 cables together?

Thanks

Lior

Re: kichen junction box

Your occupation says you are an electrician--and you are asking a question like this????

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
      Your occupation says you are an electrician--and you are asking a question like this????
      He also asked the same question on electriciantalk.com I highly doubt he is an electrician of any sorts.

Jeff

Comment

Re: kitchen junction box

First of all since you do not know where there coming from, or what circuits there on, apparently, or even if there on the same side of the 230, I would think it would be foolish to tie them all together,

If there on different circuits then you jsut tied three breakers/fuses together, so who know what will trip them,

If there on opposite sides of the neutral you would be tying a direct short together, I ran in near the same thing in a trailer my son was living in once, where some one tried that and indirectly 2/3 the trailer was basically running off of one 15 amp breaker, and it blew one of the main 50 amp fuses at the pole on the trailer. (not a good idea),

SO I think if you think for a few Min's you will come to a conclusion that with out knowing what is going on tying the three together may not be a great idea,

but depending on how things were done they may need to be tied together, to make some thing else work correctly, but I do not know with out seeing it and figuring out what is going on there,

I am guessing there is a little more to the story than what is posted, but whether your a electrician or not, I would suggest to get some one who can trace out what your dealing with and guide you correctly.

one more question, if they were abandoned in the wall from a earlier remodel then how were the wires when you found them, tied together or separated out? was it a junction box, or was there any evidence that some thing had been tied into them.

are all three black wires hot, what voltages do they read black to black, do any of the white wires show any voltage, what was the status of the white wires. were they separate or tied together.

It jsut sounds like to me you need some one to guide you through the remodeling here in the electrical process, (my guess is if your a electrician, your jsut starting and could use some help here from some one who is more seasoned, in the trade),

I can't even give you an educated guess on what to do as there is not enough information and to do so would be foolish as I do not want you to burn your house down or whom ever home your working in.

GET SOME ONE WHO CAN TRACE OUT THE WIRES AND GIVE YOU SOME ON SITE ADVICE.
        Last edited by BHD; 11-12-2008, 05:58 PM.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks a lot for your help BHD!!!!!

I wasnt sure about neutral wires(if they can be together or not). As you mentioned i am just starting and have luck of experience this job was a part of kichen remodeling ( help for my friend).

The reson why i asked the same question at enother forum is becouse i wasnt sure and needed some advise from experienced profecionals

Thanks again

Lior

Comment

[quote=lioreks;187270]
            During renovation of my old kitchen inside the walls I found 3 energized wires 14/2 (don’t know where thy coming from downstairs)
            I want to install accessible junction box to keep those wires safe.
            My question is: should I separate hot (black) wire and install 3 separate Marrette for each cable or I can use only 1marrett for (hot black) and by doing this connect all 3 cables together?

#1.
            Place Volt meter ground (Black) to copper ground in box, Check each wire seperately with the Red/ Positive side of volte meter for 120 Volts roughly.
            Hot wires should read around 120 neutral should read nothing unless something is incorrectlly wired.
            #2.
            IF the 3 wires were previously twisted together then I would leave the volt meter on each of them and get someone to turn off circuit in panel untill you find the breaker that is supplying the power. IF turning off that breaker also kills the power to the other wires, and if they were innitally twisted together then most likey the wires were joined to provide power elsewere, pay attention to what else lost power when that cct. is de- energized.
            #3.
            IF at this point you should know if you are dealing with one cct. IF only one cct. leave power off untill you have secured them properly into box and ensure you use right size marrett,s for what you are doing red ones should work fine for 14/2 double check all wires with volt meter to ensure there is no power before proceeding.
            #4. If unsure get someone who knows what they are at, It only takes 40 Milli Amps across the heart to kill so dont take chances.

Comment

Originally posted by lioreks View Post
              Thanks a lot for your help BHD!!!!!

I wasnt sure about neutral wires(if they can be together or not). As you mentioned i am just starting and have luck of experience this job was a part of kichen remodeling ( help for my friend).

The reson why i asked the same question at enother forum is becouse i wasnt sure and needed some advise from experienced profecionals

Thanks again

Lior
              I hope you have taken out an electrical permit for what ever electrical work that you are doing. It's require by law that any electrical work perform in Ontario requires an electrical permit & of course an electrical inspection.

That is to cover yourself or for whomever's house that you are working on; incase an insurance claim is needed. Also I would recommend you look in the code book for the electrical requirements of the kitchen installation. Read section 26 of the electrical code, it's a must read section for you. Also you may try your local electrical inspector.

The question that you ask seem to indicate you should really get help from someone who is qualify to do this kind of work until you get more experience.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
              X