3 way 220v switch?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 way 220v switch?

I have a compressor centrally located in the Basement. I've run the Air Lines to the workshop and the garage. I'd prefer not to leave the compressor switched to "On" as it is kind of loud and comes on every so often.

Can I wire a 220v 3 way switch?

I'm perfectly capable of wiring straight 220v outlets and 110v stuff, but have never done anything with a switch and 220v. I'd like to be able to turn it on while working in the garage or turn it on while working in the workshop.

It would be perfect if I had it on a remote like my DC unit :-) Oh well.

Thanks in advance!!

Ryan

Re: 3 way 220v switch?

I would probably look into a contractor and set it up with two locations to energize the contactor, (contactor is like a motor starter with out the over load protection), put a disconnect at the compressor so if one is working on it it can not come on with out you in control of it. and depending on the coil you choose one can control it off of low voltage (24 volts). then it would be simular to the dust system.
    Last edited by BHD; 11-20-2008, 09:26 AM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Ok Yep... I have no idea what you are talking about :-) Time to bring in a professional contractor to do it for me I guess. I don't want to kill myself or burn the house down.

Cheers,
      Ryan

Comment

I think what BHD is suggesting is two things. First, that you have a disconnect before the compressor; this would not be connected to your switches. That way someone can't turn it on remotely on you. Second, that you use a relay for the switching. The relay will switch the 220V on and off. You then have two low-voltage controls (one in the workshop the other in the garage) that will switch the relay on/off.

Comment

http://www.beautifulwood.net/html/wireless_dc.html

Comment

You need to contact a good commercial electrician that does work in factories and industrial applications. What you want to do can be done using a magnetic motor starter and remote (wired) START-STOP switches. The cost for such may make you back down real fast however.

If you can find an electrician that can custom build things, what you want can be done using a 240 Volt primary and 24 Volt secondary control transformer and a 2 pole contactor housed in a wiring box of say 8" x 8" x 4" or 6" deep. Then run 3 conductor thermostat wire to (2) 3-way switches. They could control the current for the contactor holding coil.

I would think there may be some more modern ways using radio remote control or such. I haven't seen such however.

You do have a difference from a dust collector in that you need to switch power (both hots together) before the pressure switch and overload protector. In addition to be safe you need before any controls a 2 pole fused and enclosed safety switch so you can manually shut off power for service and safety reasons.

The cost for all of the above and having a good electrician install it will more than likely bring you to howling and fainting. Now if this were in a factory and you had a huge air compressor then it's different. So is the amount of $$$ they could pay for it all.

What you want is simple enough, but getting all the items, figuring it all out and professional installation is what will cost the good money.
            Last edited by Woussko; 11-22-2008, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rcassidy View Post
              I have a compressor centrally located in the Basement. I've run the Air Lines to the workshop and the garage. I'd prefer not to leave the compressor switched to "On" as it is kind of loud and comes on every so often.

Can I wire a 220v 3 way switch?

I'm perfectly capable of wiring straight 220v outlets and 110v stuff, but have never done anything with a switch and 220v. I'd like to be able to turn it on while working in the garage or turn it on while working in the workshop.

It would be perfect if I had it on a remote like my DC unit :-) Oh well.

Thanks in advance!!

Ryan
              Most 3 way switches 15 or 20 amp are rated for 600 volts if you look at the box. Another alternative is to use a 2 pole relay with 2 3way's and even a low voltage 12 volt bell transformer. Like a relay on a boiler.

Buck

Comment

Working...
              X