X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire size

What size underground wire do I need for a 300' run to a 60 watt light?

Re: Wire size

do they sell 14 gage underground direct burial feeder

otherwise 12 gage is common.

at 60 watts only you can get by with 18 gage wire. but that's an extension cord. not underground direct burial.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

It depends on the size of the breaker. If it is a 15 amp breaker, 14 guage will work. If it is a 20 amp breaker you need 12 gauge.

Comment

It probably wouldn't matter much for a single incandescent 60w bulb as long as you go with the proper wiring size for the breaker used on the circuit. If you plan on running anything else or some other type of bulb you might have to bump the wire gauge a size or two to account for voltage drop over the long distance.

Comment

Originally posted by TimS123 View Post
          What size underground wire do I need for a 300' run to a 60 watt light?
          A 300' run will give you a big voltage drop. A #12 wire would give you less voltage drop than a smaller #14 wire. Just snap a 20 amp breaker in. A 60 watt bulb only uses .5 amps. 60/120 = .5

Buck

Comment

a 300' run will require a #4 wire granted your running off a 15a breaker. but i suggest if your just running one light at 300' then to put a 10a breaker on the distribution panel and you would only have to run a #6, check voltage drop calculations if it is at your disposal, or go to elec-toolbox.com for more info.

Comment

That should do it.
              Handy Electric
              Electrician Sacramento

Comment

14-2 wire 15 amp breaker for a 60 watt light

Wow, #4 wire.... hmmm a bit over kill, like Buck stated there's only .5 amps

Edit- Wow the post was almost a month old before being resurrected.
                Last edited by swoosh81; 01-24-2009, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by elec-bw View Post
                  a 300' run will require a #4 wire granted your running off a 15a breaker. but i suggest if your just running one light at 300' then to put a 10a breaker on the distribution panel and you would only have to run a #6, check voltage drop calculations if it is at your disposal, or go to elec-toolbox.com for more info.
                  #4? Huh? A number 14 wire at 300 feet and .5 amps drops less than 1 volt total, to be exact it drops .9 volts. Well, well, well within the NEC recommended limit of 3% voltage drop for feeders and 5% voltage drop for branch circuits. At 5% the circuit can drop 6 volts.

Jeff

Comment

my mistake i did my math wrong. i calculated for 15a not .5a
                    Last edited by elec-bw; 01-25-2009, 05:05 PM. Reason: screw up

Comment

Working...
                    X