X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat Screens and Receptacle Heights

When new homes/condo/townhomes are being build and certain wall looks good for a flat screen TV, is there a standard height for a receptacle????? Not everybody will have a tilt bracket for their TV.
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Re: Flat Screens and Receptacle Heights

Not to many Residential Sparkies here, are there.... Its strange that I don't know this answer, I know they are putting them in and I know that around here its around 4' 6"s, but I don't know if thats a standard height, or one that they just decided to pick. It always looked good to me, might be a tad high at one point I thought.....
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Maybe same height as light switches...48" isn't it?
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

So I'm beginning to think that there really isn't a standard height issue. As the baby boomers are getting older and they are now building their single story, slab heated homes, the sparkies are starting to install the receptacles higher up, this way they/home owners don't have to bend down to far to plug in a vacuum or whatever.

This is all changing and I'm more curious about the TV height receptacles. Somebody else brought up this question, elsewhere and so far no one has answered it with a definite answer. This makes me to believe, its up to the electrician to place that box at any height he seems fit, for no knowledge of the TV size or if there will be a tilt mounted bracket that works for the TV that someday may go in....

Comment

You would have to know that a TV was going on the wall when the wiring was done. Last thing you need is an outlet in the middle of a wall with a picture hanging next to it. Reminds me of the outlets set in the wall above the manlte of a fireplace for a clock. What do you do if you don't have a clock?

On the custom homes we've worked on the customer knows where he wants the flat screen mounted and the wiring is done before sheetrock. When we renovated our house we left a wire buried in the wall up about 6' - just in case.

Comment

Thats the thing, not all homes have an owner before its completed. Plus nowadays, more and more wall mounted flat screen TV's are being sold. Nothing was like this in the past. Yes, I have seen covers on the walls, painted to blend in, wallpapered too, to blend it in. And I have seen pictures/paintings covering them up also. But times are changing and its easier to mount the boxes before the drywall goes up. There is usually a certain wall we can pretty much guess on, that a TV would be hung there. So we have to figure in, almost all homes now, will have a flat screen or very soon... So there has to be a good guess at what height to place this at, even if it'll be just covered up by a tall entertainment center.... So now I am thinking, there is no way to set a height measurement, because no one from any where has given me that answer.

Comment

The height will depend on the screen size, this Yahoo answers has some interesting stuff. Basically you should be looking at the screen head-on. The tilt brackets allow the screen to be higher and still maintain a 90 degree viewing angle. They also say the THX standard is no more than a 15* angle to the top of the screen.

I guess if you pick the wall, figure out where the couch will go, then based on the distance pick the appropriate 1-2-3 sizes of screen; you can then get a range for where they will be mounted and put the outlet somewhere that all of them will cover it. Sounds like you would need to customize it to each room; but you could probably come up with a rule of thumb based on the far wall distance.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5181141AA7WGnJ

Comment

When we did new homes we either knew where the TV was going or, the general area where it was going. If we Knew exactly where it was going, we'd install a wire in the wall and leave it in there until finish when either we or the TV installer would install the TV bracket and we'd cut a hole in for our box and pull out the wire (usually we'd loop the wire from one bay to 2-3 other bays in a big loop so we could just reach in and pull it out. We would also put a receptacle below it for the VCR, DVD, Cable Box, ETC.... Usually we'd snake the low voltage wires up to it, or again loop them in the wall and pull out at install time. Don't forget it's not just about where the plug goes, it's about what's gonna power that TV signal??? where are you running your low voltage RG6 or HDMI, component, etc... to? Either right below the TV or to a central location somewhere in the home?? All important to know before hand. Height however, is determined by the size of the TV and what type of room it is. When all else fails, we would usually just come off a plug somewhere in the general area I might also add, a lot more homes around here have been getting that Foam insulation... FYI it sucks if you're an electrician and are used to snaking in the walls. First of all, if we know it's going in and we're putting a TV on the wall, we will usually put a 2" Piece of pipe in the wall to a Low voltage ring or box and stub down to the basement or below the TV to another low voltage ring or box so we can get our Coax or component wires in later, and we would also install the Outlet right next to the low voltage ring during rough, not leave the wires in the wall like we would normally. This being the case, we'd usually go 6' to our box if we're making the call, or wherever the prints would say to put it. If it's not in during rough on a foam house, forget it, it's gonna require sheetrock comin out to do it later and a lot more money.
                Last edited by Badabing; 12-19-2008, 02:47 PM.

Comment

if you can install your at the standard ht. it is easy to chase it up the wall to ht. that will work for the end user. or buy the tv and install it all set up and ready to go,it might help sell the house. in the condo i just worked on the designer had the outlet, cable & phone lines at 6' from the floor.

Comment

if you can install your at the standard ht. it is easy to chase it up the wall to ht. that will work for the end user. or buy the tv and install it all set up and ready to go,it might help sell the house. in the condo i just worked on the designer had the outlet, cable & phone lines at 6' from the floor.

Comment

Aggghh! TV's on walls! The horror!
                      Put the bloody things at SEATED eye level. Nothing worse than a TV mounted over a fireplace mantle. (or anywhere near that height.)
                      I've got a 46" LCD that sits on its factory stand. The factory stand sits on the old console stand where my 32" cathode ray tube sat. Perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by mr. frugal View Post
                        Aggghh! TV's on walls! The horror!
                        Put the bloody things at SEATED eye level. Nothing worse than a TV mounted over a fireplace mantle. (or anywhere near that height.)
                        I've got a 46" LCD that sits on its factory stand. The factory stand sits on the old console stand where my 32" cathode ray tube sat. Perfect.
                        At the perfect height for a 3 year old to tip over? The CRT on a stand is going to be much more stable than an LCD.

Comment

Working...
                        X