X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cat 5 wire for 220 volt line

While vacationing in Cuba, I saw this Category 5 wire used for a 220 volt line to an outdoor light!!!!

This was a 5 Star Hotel and the beach was the best I've ever seen!
    Attached Files

Re: Cat 5 wire for 220 volt line

I'm POSITIVE they twisted at least 2 pairs together per phase, so i'm sure it's way beyond passible in their standards

Comment

Yah, but I just noticed after posting the pic the wire has been pulled off the bottom clip so it wouldn't pass their code.

Comment

Where are you getting a 220 volt circuit out of an incandescent light? Not that it really matters in the end.

Jeff

Comment

It was not an incandescent lamp, it was one of those compact spiral fluorescent bulbs. Cuba runs on 220volt.

Comment

I guess the load should only be 1/4 amp if it is a 60W bulb @ 240W. I wonder what the theoretical # for 24 gauge wire would be.

Comment

CPW, I was thinking the same thing as you were and I checked a website that ok'ed 24 awg for .577 amps. The problem is they had like 20 of these lights on 1 line. This photo I took at the bar and was the last lamp on that line. Im not sure how/if they used all the 8 wires or just 2.
              These are flourescent bulbs that used only 10-15 watts btw.

Comment

The crazy part is they didn't even save much money. IIRC Cat5 was something like $90 for a 1000ft box ($.09/ft), and 14/2 is $36/250 ft ($.144/ft).

Comment

Yah, but nothing makes sense in Cuba and everything is in short supply. I found myself shaking my head at things I saw around the complex. Lots of backward stuff, like most of the poor islands. I remember 1 morning I saw 3 guys using a ceramic tile saw that had an extension cord without a plug on the end, the 2 wires were just pressed into the outlet, I kid you not! ...but again, the beaches are #1 !!!

Comment

When I was in the middle east I heard that referred to as the Universal Plug.

Comment

Someone probably thought the blue insulation would look nice with all the pastel colors the islands favor.

Comment

That's one of the if not the most insane thing I have seen.

But...wait....are you sure it wasn't Cat-5e or Cat-6?
                        sigpicTim

Comment

Guys,
                          The funny thing was when I asked the bartender if I could take a photo of that light he said: "Ahhh, you like huh?" I said: "Yes, can I take a picture?" He said: "ok"...but he didnt know WHY I took the picture ...he had no clue!....LOL

Comment

MUST BE NON-UNION !!!

Comment

You'd be surprised how many times I've seen stuff like that on union jobs. It doesn't matter if your union or not, it's all about the pride you take in your work.

Comment

Working...
                              X