X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 pumps a pumping

I have a customer that has 2 well pumps down. I've replaced one to get them going. The other tests to be dead also.

Problem: The original installer put them on two separate pressure switches on the same line. So odds are one has been working all the time while the other was just sitting or already dead and noone knew it. And it would continue to behave this way if I were to leave it this way.

The pumps should be on one pressure switch if I'm thinking right.

What problems could this cause? Amp draw etc. on the switch? Need some special switch?

2 pumps-One at approxiamately 300' and the other at 500'. NO info on the pumps except both are 1HP at 240V.

Thanks for all replies.

J.C.

Re: 2 pumps a pumping

Maybe a stupid question but why 2 pumps? Wouldn't you want just one to operate at a time? I would think you'd want some kind of alternating system with an alarm when one fails like sump pumps or sewage pumps.

Comment

Originally posted by EverettsPHAC View Post
      Maybe a stupid question but why 2 pumps? Wouldn't you want just one to operate at a time? I would think you'd want some kind of alternating system with an alarm when one fails like sump pumps or sewage pumps.
      This is at a business that has high demand/load times for water. Neither pump or well is capable of keeping up alone with the volume required.

(I could be wrong in the original post about 1 not working. Have to set things up for maximum performance & possible future growth.)

J.C.
      Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-04-2009, 07:14 PM.

Comment

That makes more sense now. I have a client that has a 2 pump system also but they split the building up and there are 2 complete systems.

I am interested to see others opinions on this one.

Comment

Throwing back up top to get more eyes on it.

J.C.

Comment

Can't quite picture the pressure switches in my head at the moment, but if 1 was working, the other would have no need to since it was already getting the pressure... Wouldn't a contactor be more useful in this situation? When the pressure switche closes, it closes the contactor which pulls in and turns both pumps on, instead of relying on 2 different pressure switches both installed on the same line? If the lines were seperate then the pressure switches would probably work without a problem but together, ones doing all the work keeping the required pressure. Now what's a PRV screen??

Comment

Didn't see your post 'til today so....

Called one of my licensed electricians in my phone. Came in, put in a contactor as you describe. All good.

PRV screen. If you have a Pressure Reducing Valve it has a screen inside that can become clogged & "whistle". Most of the time it's just faster & more piece of mind to just change the PRV though.

The best thing is to duplicate the sound & try to put your ear on where it's coming from.

Thanks for your reply.

J.C.

Comment

hey wuddya know, i suggested something that worked!

Comment

one float switch for 2 pumps bad not good

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    Throwing back up top to get more eyes on it.

J.C.
                    If one pump can't meet demand at all times but one large pump is not a desired condition (for whatever reason) then a lead-lag controller setup I think would be the best way to go. This would run one pump in the lead position and if it could keep up that is all that would run for that cycle. When that pump shuts down the second pump is switched into the lead position so that next time it will be the first to run. If the lead pump fails to start or can not keep up with demand then the lag pump kicks in.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X