Home electric meter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Home electric meter

I thank all of you for the very useful input. I have ordered the ted1001 power monitor and will install it when I get it. You can see the monitor here if you are interested http://www.altapower.com/Energy_Detective_s/953.htm

Comment

Not cheap but it could help you reduce your energy use and over time save far more $$$ than what it costs you to buy it.

Comment

I've had the same question asked to me. It takes a full inspection to figure this out.
        Handy Electric
        Electrician Sacramento

Comment

This is a follow up on the high electric bill. I did find that my Heat Pump unit was not cycling the emergency heat coils that are in the house.
          It should have been connecting the inside coils depending on the ammount of heat needed. It was pulling all on all the time.
          This was repaired
          I installed the power meter TED1001 and computer software to monitor the kwh I am using. It has shown me how I was wasting elec. and I have been able to schedule useage and decrease the elec use.
          Things like hand washing dishes most of the time (there are only two of us) and not leaving lights on when leaving a room. These are some things that have been preached but when you see it on a graph on the computer it hits home.
          Thanks for all the help and information you gave me.

Comment

Your situation is fairly common. I worked for two electric utilities in Texas for 33+ years, of which 20+ years was in a meter department. I'm guessing that TXU may have changed your meter to one that they can read remotely. Meter manufacturers are required to test each meter that they produce prior to shipment. Electric utilities, in turn, are required to calibrate meters to within a +or-2% tolerance whenever a meter comes into the shop from the field. These tests are conducted by comparing a billing meter against a reference standard that is usually tested annually but often is more frequently. Although utilities do not test billing meters annually, they do keep on top of meter accuracy by performing sample tests of a percentage of each "type" of meter in use. If results indicate problems, the utility will perform additional tests on another sample of the same "type". This gives them insight of problems and will keep them in a proactive posture rather reactive. That is one reason why people will have the same meter at their residence for decades.
            As a matter of fact, an analog or electromechanical meter tends to slow down over it's lifespan but rarely is out of the 2% tolerance. I know most people suspect the meters, especially when the bill jumps after a changeout. The fact is that the meter is rarely the fault. It usually turns out to be a heat/ac unit, hot water heater or water well with a leak of the homeowner.
            A simple thing a homeowner can do in these situations is read the meter on a 24 hour interval and take note of the weather conditions, home activity(washing & drying, etc.).
            One other thing, I was not aware that TXU was billing on TOU(time of use) or demand for residential accounts yet. I think it will come to it someday, but I hope not soon. The technology is probably available in your new meter today.

Just wanted to give some facts. When all else fails, there always the Texas Public Utility Commision.

Thanks for telling what you found with the heat pump.

PS. The previous basic standards apply to the gas and water meters according to their each unique applications. Of course, there are some differences but each utility has to follow these standards.

Comment

Working...
            X