Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landscape light transformer mounting location

Hi All,

I'm running wiring for low voltage landscape lighting. The Malibu transformer instructions say "for outdoor installation only". All that Customer Service will say is, "They're UL approved for outdoor use only".

I can't quite figure out what would cause the thing to not be suited for installation inside. I don't have any outlets in the front of the house... guess I could install one. But overall, it seems like a better plan to mount the (ugly) transformer inside the (unheated) garage. The outlet in the garage is on a GFCI.

Anyone have any insight into what this "outdoor only" stuff is about and what sort of risk there is to mounting the transformer inside a garage?

Thanks in advance!

-Andy

Re: Landscape light transformer mounting location

Most of those low voltage lighting transformers have open connections (for the low voltage wiring) and are not permitted inside residential structures. That said, it would be just as easy for a child to touch the connections in your yard as it would be if mounted on a wall near your panel or wherever you find a convenient place to power the transformer from.

Comment

Thanks for the input! I agree that it seems just as likely that a child playing would be as likely to touch the terminals either inside a garage or outside... regulations, gotta love 'em!

-Andy

Comment

It's a listed device, by code you cannot use a listed device for anything other than what it was designed for.

Comment

Yeah. Listed device should be used per listing. In this case, it's not hard wired to the mains, just plugs in to an outlet. So I'm more concerned with understanding the actual issue and safety rather than the technicality of the code. If an inspector ever flagged it in the future, I would just unplug it. Bad attitude, I know...

Thanks for your comment!

Comment

Working...
          X