Please Help - Freezer + Outlet = FAIL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help - Freezer + Outlet = FAIL

Let me preface this post by saying that I went to school to be a lawyer and know next to nothing about electricity (except the basics from the physics I had in college...)

I had an old chest style deep freeze. I kept finding that it was turned off and I had not been aware of it. We would reset the tripped circuit (I hope I don't sound too stupid if I'm saying this stuff wrong!) It would work again for a while and then repeat.

Finally, the deep freeze quit working all together. I want to buy a new Energy Star upright freezer to replace the old one, but I don't want to risk having the freezer turn off unbeknownst to me and ruining hundreds of dollars worth of frozen food that turns into a soupy, disgusting, smelly mess. Is this a valid concern or was the problem more likely rooted with the old freezer rather than the wiring? I should also mention that the outdoor outlets (that we use for landscape lighting and miscellaneous other yard needs) seems to be run from the same place as it shuts off whenever the outlet from the deep freeze shuts off.

Any advice you can give me would be very much appreciated. Although I don't know much about these things, I am a quick learner and could do some things myself if anything needs done.

Thanks in advance!
    Laura

Re: Please Help - Freezer + Outlet = FAIL

Well the first thing to do is check to make sure that the breaker is large enough to handle the load (freezer plus anything else on that circuit (if any). If the breaker is a 20 Amp that should be good and what you will find most times in residential circuits.

How old is the suspect freezer? Might have a bad compressor which is tripping the breaker after its run for a while. Does it always trip after a certain amount of time after you reset the breaker, or does it go for days then trip?

Open the breaker and see what does or does not work besides the freezer. Maybe another heavy load or something with a high draw on startup (something with a motor) that you don't use often is what causes it to trip.
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

it may be a GFIC breaker or circuit, that is getting tripped, since you stated out side outlets, and some thing else could be leaking some electricity tripping the breaker,
      a GFIC measures the power going out and coming back in and if there is any difference it shuts off the circuity, so even some moisture or some small break could be occurring as well, and the breaker could have given out if it is not coming back on,

you could have a dedicated circuit ran for the freezer,

they make a battery alarm for the freezer,
      http://www.google.com/products?num=1...-8&sa=N&tab=wf

or one can put a Indoor/out door thermometer and put the out side bulb in the freezer and one can see the temp in the freezer with out opening the lid,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Assuming there is no problem with your wiring, it could have been the old frezer was giving up and causing the overload and tripiing the breaker. Is the breaker a GFCI breaker? If so, the problem could be a ground fault on the outside wiring. You have to determine this. Assuming the wiring is good and the problem was with the old freezer, you can protect your food in the new freezer buy simply plugging in a small night light into the outlet the freezer is plugged into or connect it to a small extension cord so you can see the light. If the light goes out, check the breaker and re set it. If the new freezer also triops the breaker, I would suspect you will need a dedicated circuit as there may be other loads pulling the circuit down. Hope this helps

Comment

Thanks for the advice and info guys!

Comment

They also make battery powered freezer alarms that will beep loudly if the temp goes above a certain setpoint. Some are even remote and you can locate the beeper part in another part of the house if the freezer is located in a place where you may not hear the alarm or see the night light.

Comment

Sounds like a GFCI problem to me.

Comment

Originally posted by dyphilla View Post
                Thanks for the advice and info guys!
                When you figure out what was wrong, drop back in and let us know.
                "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Originally posted by gusty60 View Post
                  Sounds like a GFCI problem to me.
                  Agreed! An older freezer that is leaking more than 5 ma of current, tripping the gfci!

Comment

Please do keep us updated.

Please give this a try: Shut off the breaker or remove the fuse for the freezer circuit. Then try to find out what other items don't have power. There may just be too many other loads on the same circuit. If it can be done it's wise to have a freezer and/or refrigerator on a circuit with very little else on the same circuit and to not have it on a GFCI receptacle, but be sure the receptacle has good grounding and that the power cord on the freezer or refrigerator is a 3 conductor grounding type with a good plug on it.

A night light plugged into the same receptacle is a nice indicator that there is power at the receptacle. To show sudden loss of power you could buy and plug in a small residential emergency (power failure) light.

Comment

Working...
                    X