X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding recepticle to shop

I have 100amp service in the house and would like to run a new outlet to my garage for my table saw. I figured a 20amp breaker in the garage and a 30amp in the main box. Does that sound OK or is there a better way?
    Thanks for any info. The garage is attached to the house and it's about 40 feet of wire to reach it if that helps.

Re: Adding recepticle to shop

Need more info. How big is the garage, who many lights, what are you going to run at one time?

Comment

Garage is 12x24. 2 sets of overhead lights running off a different breaker. That's it for any fixtures. I planned on running the table saw and a compound miter saw both are 110volt. That's really it other than an occasional hand drill or router. All tools are 110v and no future plans for 220. All I really need are a couple of outlets on the same wall.

Comment

Why are you putting a 20A breaker in the garage? Do you intend to put a subpanel in? You must protect the circuit with a breaker compatible with the gauge of wire you are running for your receptacles. If all you want is a couple of receptacles on that circuit just use a 20A breaker in your main load center and run AWG 12 (12 gauge) wire out to the garage. From that home run you can wire up your 2 receptacles. If you need to have both saws running at the same time you might want to make those two receptacles dedicated, one to each saw. In other words, run two circuits from your main load center, and wire each receptacle separately. Or you could run wire from your main load center and install a sub panel in the garage to take care of this project and any future needs. All sub panels now need a separate ground rod with ground wire attached to a ground buss bar in the sub panel in addition to the ground from your main load center to the sub panel.

Comment

Thx Killavolt. That's what I needed to know. I imagine I'll go with a subpanel in case I do upgrades later.

Comment

Hi Sigman,

Just curious about your comment that you have no plans for 220V in the garage.... but a subpanel in case of expansion later....and I notice the racecar avatar... all of which leads to my comment:

If you're thinking about going through the bother to install a subpanel in your garage, you might consider bringing both legs in from the main house panel while you're at it. 220V in the garage is really handy, especially if you're a car guy, for (future) addition of a welder and air compressor. And not really any more work since you have to bring wire in anyway... it's just one more wire.

Also, since you're thinking about a subpanel, you might consider upscaling to a larger gage wiring run to the garage and a larger breaker in the house load center... then you could use a bit larger subpanel and really have some expansion capability. Remember that the wiring between the house panel and the subpanel has to be sized based on the amperage capacity of the subpanel, whether you're using the capacity or not. Unfortunately, large wire is expensive... which is the downside to this suggestion.

I have a 125A garage sub on a 200A main load center. Haven't popped the main breaker yet!

Just something to think about.

-Andy

Comment

Andy,
              Good points. I'll keep it in mind as I'm going by the electric supply place today. Thanks for the ideas. I used to race online in a worldwide F1 car league. Age and mileage caught up with me and i retired from the computer racing. Sold my real life 67 Mustang a few years ago after restoring it. I'm back to woodworking, my 1st hobby.
              Last edited by sigman; 02-11-2009, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Sigman

If you can try to think of your garage in a few years. What machinery might you want to be able to run? That should be helpful info for suggesting what to do. Also, What's the rating of your main breaker for your house? Do you have any heavy loads such as an electric range, water heater, electric heat, large central air conditioner or electric clothes dryer?

About how big is your garage?

Comment

Working...
                X