X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capacitor Replacement

I have an older Craftsman table saw (Craftsman 113.19063), and the motor will no longer start (it just hums a bit, and blows a fuse). From the discussions I saw on some archived materials here and elsewhere I think the capacitor may require replacement. Does opening up the motor require special tools? I can see what I think is the capacitor through an opening in the housing, but the motor does not seem to want to open.

Re: Capacitor Replacement

The capacitor will be located on the outside of the motor inside a little housing.
    You may not have a capacitor start motor.
    If you have the model number, we may be able to look it up and tell.

Comment

The plate on the motor includes the following words/numbers/etc.: 1 Horsepower capacitor motor, 3450 RPM, 115/230V (it has been used with AC power), single phase, Frame KS 73 BN, Style 237, Model 113.19063, 10225. Sears Parts Direct lists a capactior as part number 24443, discontinued. And I can see within one of the end shields a cylindrical object encased in black flexible plastic, about 4" long and abut 1" in diameter, which I imagine must be the capacitor.

Comment

if you can not see acap thereis not one. you may want someone else to check the motor.

Comment

The cap will be mounted outside the motor similar to the setup you see here on the TS-3650.

Attachment

In the above photo you can see the cap hanging off the motor near the bottom. Yours will probably be similar.

The value of the cap should be printed or encoded on it. Take it to a motor shop and they can get it up and running in no time if nothing else is wrong with it.
          Attached Files
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

If this is a very old craftsman motor the capacitors are flat and located in the base of the motor. You will have to remove the motor, turn it over and remove a metal plate from the base of the motor to access it.

I do not know the part numbers, but will look tomorrow at a couple of motors I have.

G3

Comment

My GI contractor saw had one cap on the outside of the motor as described by others, but it also had a second cap in the wire junction box. I assume one was a run cap, and the other a start cap.

If all else fails, you can often pickup a 1hp motor for a CMan saw on Ebay for $50-$70.

Comment

shurwitz

If all else fails take the motor to a motor repair/rewinding shop. They can get it up and running or advise on a good replacement. Depending on frame, shaft and such it may be best to replace it, but does it do anything when power it applied? Growls? Tries to run but is very slow to start and come up to speed? Nothing at all? Please tell more.

People including yourself are correct that with some older motors starting and/or running capacitors may be in the base or end bell. It's not hard to open up a motor but you need some knowledge how to do it without causing harm and some proper tools. I would recommend letting a good tech that works on electric motors check it over and try basic repairs. If the motor needs any major repairs then it may be more cost effective to find a replacement but for now please assume nothing.
                Last edited by Woussko; 02-19-2009, 10:30 AM.

Comment

The capacitor is actually inside the motor, and can be accessed only by opening up the motor. After removing the nuts holding the motor together, I was able to open the motor with some gentle tapping. I sent the specs (161 MFD was printed on the old capacitor) and the size (cylindrical, about 1.5" in diameter, about 4.25" long) to customer service at Grainger, they advised on a replacement, I ordered it, and it was delivered within a day (using standard shipping). The replacement is smaller in diameter, so I wrapped an old vacuum cleaner belt around it so it would be tight in the clamp. I also took the opportunity to replace one of the bearings as Sears still had that part available. After putting it back together, I was a little fearful about trying to start the saw. But it started right up. Without the information picked up in this forum (some from other threads), I would not have been able to do this.

Comment

Turn the saw off and unplug/disconnect main power. Can you turn the shaft by hand? If not you may have a bad bearing. If you can a capacitor could possibly be the issue.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                    X