Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recessed Lighting Install

Quick question,

We are going to be installing some recessed lights in a second floor office in our house. We have full attic access above. We did one of our 2nd floor bedrooms last year it it went well and the results were great.

I have been reading where in some cases people will actually use cross bracing in between the ceiling joists in order to kind of "box in" the entire can. Is there any real benifit to that? We are using IC rated cans. The box idea makes the end result look neater but i wondered if there was any real benefit to doing it that way.

Thanks
    Tom
    Last edited by Tom5151; 02-18-2009, 03:51 PM.

Re: Recessed Lighting Install

Are you using old work/retrofit cans? The cans you propose to use are rated for contact with insulation. Just re-insulate around the cans after installation. I don't see the benefit of boxing in the cans in your case. It would make sense if you were using non IC rated cans. If your ceiling joists are 2X6 or greater you could use low silhoutte cans and plywood over.

Comment

Thank you sir.....

Actually since we have full attic access we are installing new work cans that are IC rated.

I didn't think there would be much benefit to boxing in the can on all four sides. It makes for a neat appearance but that's about it.....

Comment

Actually there is quite a bit of benefit to it if you are not using airlock cans. Here in wisconsin we have to use either airlock cans or box them in, as we are allowed no air transfer through a recessed can. Boxing them in stops the air transfer which can be a significant amount, and in winter thats a lot of cold air dropping out of the attic.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by piette View Post
          Actually there is quite a bit of benefit to it if you are not using airlock cans. Here in wisconsin we have to use either airlock cans or box them in, as we are allowed no air transfer through a recessed can. Boxing them in stops the air transfer which can be a significant amount, and in winter thats a lot of cold air dropping out of the attic.

Jeff
          That's a great point.....

I had thought about it from that perspective as well. I live near chicago so it gets pretty cold in the winter. We did another bedroom last year with recessed lights that are not airlock. We did not box those in. I have actually checked to see if we are getting cold air coming down through them and i truly don't notice anything at all. I think we'll be okay

Comment

Working...
          X