The gen runs but produces no voltage
    I'll go into greater detail if somone is willing to listen

thanks

j dave

Re: Guardian Generator

Let's start with at least a model number of the Guardian and go from there

Comment

The model number is a good starting place. We might be able to access a service manual or give you the contact info for a local service center that would have one.

Have you tried measuring Voltage at the generator itself? I don't mean at the control panel but right at the generator with Voltmeter connected to the winding leads.

I'm going to assume this model has a fancy electronic engine speed governor and Voltage regulator as do most newer standby generators. This is where it's all too easy to get yourself into big $$$ trouble.

Question: Is this a new machine or one that used to work but doesn't currently? If new or close, you really want to get into contact with a warranty service center. If you go messing around you do so totally at your own risk of voiding the warranty.

Generac Power Systems
      Hwy. 59 & Hillside Road
      P.O. Box 8
      Waukesha, WI 53187
      1-888-436-3722

This should link you to service dealers: http://www.generac.com/Corporate/Loc...ommercial.aspx
      Last edited by Woussko; 02-19-2009, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Guardian model # 5240 7k LP gas
        bought - July 2008
        Tested fine on install, excercised weekly since time of install
        Had power outage, gen started auto, Utility power restores
        Furnace won't work, bad board
        frig won't work, bad condensor fan motor
        surge protector fried on big TV, TV OK
        No one home during this outage
        no voltage out of gen checked at CB in the gen in auto mode
        ???

Comment

Why the power outage?

Was it struck by lighning?

Has it ever been tested under real world conditions prior to this?

Was it certified by a Gaurdian installer?

The furnace control board, frig and surge protector was no coincedence. Something bad happened during the transfer.

Comment

Why the power outage? The Utility primsry had a transformer fail which took out 1300 customers

Was it struck by lighning? NO, not that I know of

Has it ever been tested under real world conditions prior to this? yes

Was it certified by a Gaurdian installer? no

The furnace control board, frig and surge protector was no coincedence. Something bad happened during the transfer.

I'm going to follow trouble flow chart and take readings on rotor and stator

Comment

were any neighbors affected by similar sensitive voltage items being damaged?

In other words did the Power company miss wire some thing and send power down the line frying things and then realized it and fixed it and not inform any one, (I know they hooked my transformer up wrong when they hung it, but caught it in a few seconds, it was not hook into my place yet by the disconnect).

other wise it sounds as if the voltage control board or module failed,
              or it over or under speed and fried things with the improper frequency.
              but since there is no power out put now I would suspect the voltage controller was faulty
              or severely over loaded,
              or a diode was bad or has come loose.
              Last edited by BHD; 02-23-2009, 11:38 AM.
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
              X