X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neutral wire issues

I have an issue where Im hooking up a computer automation and it requires 110v service, when I hook up the unit in question it feeds back on the nuetral wire 110v causing the GFCI to trip could this be a problem with the transformer?

Re: Neutral wire issues

Need much more info. What is it that you are connecting. Exactly how is it wire in? And how or what does it "feed back" on to the neutral?

Obviously it is doing something, and as you know, if you somehow unbalance the current from the 120 supply side vs. neutral return, this can trip a GFCI. Could your unit be leaking current to ground?

Comment

You will backfeed current if there is a line voltage motor in that circuit. Possibly a fan/blower motor? Does this circuit have to be on a GFCI?

Comment

Originally posted by doclark View Post
        I have an issue where Im hooking up a computer automation and it requires 110v service, when I hook up the unit in question it feeds back on the nuetral wire 110v causing the GFCI to trip could this be a problem with the transformer?
        Motor loads are known to trip GFCI's, combined with slight neutral current harmonics due to electronics, yeah, it could trip GFCI's. Usually motor loads are not GFCI protected for that reason. Usually they are on deticated lines with single recepacles
        Last edited by tailgunner; 02-28-2009, 07:58 PM.

Comment

i see that your a pool tech, is this install next to a pool?

Comment

If I am correct in understanding this,what I think you may have is a broken neutral of a three wire feeder. Find the one breaker that does shutoff the power to the problem outlet. With a faulty neutral one should still be able to meter voltage from hot to ground. I am trying to understand what you mean by the power dropping off. If you are comfortable with basic electrical work and being in a live panel (or are ok with killing the main for a bit) then the purchase of a toner could prove invaluable for locating the feeder in the panel and isolating the problem.
            Builders South London

Comment

Working...
            X