Another "can you believe it"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another "can you believe it"?

One of my customers owns rental houses and just had the tenants move out of one on good terms. In the process of going through the house to check everything before the new tenants move in on Saturday he had a check list. Then he found a few simple little jobs, and then he found this: He asked me if I would look at where a window air conditioner was plugged into the floor. Into the floor? Yep. I walked into the bedroom and sure enough the unit was plugged into what appeared to be a 110v duplex receptacle in the floor. He told me it was loose feeling, so I reached over to check it and the cord/male plug for the unit and wiring came out of the floor. Someone had pulled the wires up through a hole in the floor, ran the wires through the holes in the spades of the male plug, twisted them, and taped them up. I just stood there as I was somewhat scared to let go. I asked him to go flip the main breaker "OFF' before I would put it down. He informed me there was no breaker panel, just a fuse panel with four (4) fuses. Good, go pull all the fuses you can find. He did pull the mains and I put the cord down. I informed him that the A/C unit was wired 1) Illegally, 2) Unsafe, 3) With no ground, and most important 4) I would not allow this connection to go back into the floor before I leave this house today. I removed the A/C cord, cut back the wires, capped them off, and taped them good before stapling the wire to a scrap of 2x4 I had to lay on top of the floor along with a sign that this wire is HOT and unsafe.I informed the homeowner that a new run of wire is needed and may not be able to do so with the old fuse box. I called a Licensed Electrician friend of mine and we will tackle this Monday. Just one of "those type things" I ran into. Thanks, David

Re: Another "can you believe it"?

Originally posted by Thurman View Post
    One of my customers owns rental houses and just had the tenants move out of one on good terms. In the process of going through the house to check everything before the new tenants move in on Saturday he had a check list. Then he found a few simple little jobs, and then he found this: He asked me if I would look at where a window air conditioner was plugged into the floor. Into the floor? Yep. I walked into the bedroom and sure enough the unit was plugged into what appeared to be a 110v duplex receptacle in the floor. He told me it was loose feeling, so I reached over to check it and the cord/male plug for the unit and wiring came out of the floor. Someone had pulled the wires up through a hole in the floor, ran the wires through the holes in the spades of the male plug, twisted them, and taped them up. I just stood there as I was somewhat scared to let go. I asked him to go flip the main breaker "OFF' before I would put it down. He informed me there was no breaker panel, just a fuse panel with four (4) fuses. Good, go pull all the fuses you can find. He did pull the mains and I put the cord down. I informed him that the A/C unit was wired 1) Illegally, 2) Unsafe, 3) With no ground, and most important 4) I would not allow this connection to go back into the floor before I leave this house today. I removed the A/C cord, cut back the wires, capped them off, and taped them good before stapling the wire to a scrap of 2x4 I had to lay on top of the floor along with a sign that this wire is HOT and unsafe.I informed the homeowner that a new run of wire is needed and may not be able to do so with the old fuse box. I called a Licensed Electrician friend of mine and we will tackle this Monday. Just one of "those type things" I ran into. Thanks, David
    How F***ing DARE you *not* endanger someones life!!
    Keep up the good work. Pass it on!
    Last edited by Jay Mpls; 02-26-2009, 09:28 PM.

Comment

WOW! You see enough "questionable" installs you just set back and laugh. Kinda hard not to laugh, some people know enough to be dangerous.

Be safe out there!

Comment

they taped it what more would one want,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

ive seen alot of stuff like that and i still cant belive how stupid some people are. "if you dont know what your doing dont fu*king touch it". but at the same time that i hate them i do get alot of work outa them lol

Comment

The sad thing is - I can believe it. I've seen too many stupid things like that.

Good job making it temporarily safe.

No pictures?
            John from Baltimore
            "One day at a time"

Comment

And I would bet that the tape they used was from the dollar store with no rated insulation value. LOL
              info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Had one of those in my first house. Outlet in the 8" baseboard, no ground. Remove the outlet to upgrade and the feed wires are lamp cord. Check in the basement and they're tied into a light fixture. Removed the fuse (there were only 2), removed the wires from the light fixture and called the electrician. I still get Christmas cards from him for all the work.

Comment

"Outlet in the 8" baseboard", tells me this house was not built with hidden wiring as today's houses are. The electricity originally supplied to this house probably was the type with the wiring along the interior walls and had rotary type lighting switches, I still see these occasionally today. When you're home was made a little more modern they probably went under the house and came up via the baseboards, typical of these homes.
                  "Removed the fuse, there were only two", are we referring to the cartridge type fuses or the screw-in type fuses? Either way, it would not surprise me for the whole house to be supplied through only two fuses, considering the previous statement. I worked on a home in a nearby town that was 2100 sq. ft. and had only FOUR cartridge fuses, 2/range, 2/house, and SIX screw-in fuses.
                  OH, if we could just all get together and write a book. Thanks, David

Comment

House (built in 1933) had a 60 amp service, 2 screw in fuses and the line from the pole to the house looked like an extension cord. The meter would sing it was spinning so fast. The orig. wiring was all BX except for the baseboard outlet added by the previous homeowner. House had not been updated until we bought it in 1988. Gutted the kitchen and the bath, new 100 or 200 amp service (I forget) and replaced all the galv. pipe with copper. Had professionals do the electric and plumbing (I know my limitations). All new outlets either came up from the basement or down from the attic and installed in the walls, not the baseboard. Great learing experience.

Comment

A husband and wife in my neighbourhood were using gasoline to clean the glue off the sub floor while doing renos and the furnace pilot light ignited the fumes and now they're both dead. Common sense ain't as common as it should be. Electricity is one of those thinks that should be left to those who are trained. My dad is an industrial electrician and he has seen people die for there mistakes.

Comment

Working...
                      X