Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USE 110v or 220v baseboard heaters for rec room?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USE 110v or 220v baseboard heaters for rec room?

Thanks in advance. I live in a split level house and the downstairs is too cold. The room is 20 by 14' with 7.5' ceilings. I am looking into getting 2 baseboard heaters and put them on a thermostat to head off the cold in this office space. Would you recommend 110v or 220v baseboards? What length as a minimum? what breaker amp minimum? Can I run them off same remote thermostat?

Re: USE 110v or 220v baseboard heaters for rec room?

A lot depends on the actual heat loss and the ground and wall temps for this room. If you can do so I would strongly recommend going with a 240 Volt 20 Amp circuit. You can then run up to about 4000 Watts of baseboard heaters. Normally they run about 250 Watts per foot. I would go with an 8 footer along the coldest wall and a 6 footer to give it some extra boost. You can run them both on one wall mount DPST Line Voltage Thermostat.

Have you thought about maybe going with a wall mount heater? If you can't recess it, you can get a surface mounting frame for it. They are fan forced and normally blow hot air outward and towards the floor. The advantage is not taking up all that wall space. Baseboard heaters can't be blocked. In addition being fan forced gets the air spread about the room quicker in many cases. Yes, they make a little noise but not bad. They come with built-in thermostats too so installation is less work.

What are you using now for heat and does it work on your coldest days/nights or are you in need of more heat?

Please see a few ideas for wall mount heaters so you get the idea.
    http://www.qmarkmeh.com/develop/prod.../ZBL-QCWH3.pdf

Good high quality baseboard heaters are the way to go where you must have quiet but I think in a rec room, I really prefer a wall heater so you can place items against or close to your walls if you want to. Installation is easier as well. You run wiring from your breaker panel to where the heater will be and connect it up. With baseboards you must run wiring to the T-stat and then to each baseboard considering you can feed in one end and out the other to additional baseboards. The problem is needing to get it hidden. Wiremold can be used but here is more work.

Question: Is your rec room still just in the ruff or is it finished?

If it's pretty ruff and you want to keep this simple and low in cost you might want a 240 Volt heavy duty portable utility heater. Or you might use 2 good Milkhouse type portable heaters with tip over and over heat shutdown built in. Each one can be run on a 15 or 20 Amp 120 Volt circuit you just may already have.

You have options depending on how much work you are willing to do, what cost you are willing to deal with, if you are going to try to DIY or hire an electrician which I strongly recommend for safety reasons and how nice your rec room is.

Comment

Thank you for your time. My room is finished and I don't mind a little noise to kick the air outward. The circuit breaker box is in garage, the new wire can come in through the wall, under the split level steps, through the closet. The wall unit could be mounted in the closet 2x4 studs. This wall mount heater could be placed nearly centered in the room. I have 12w x20 deep and 7.5 ceilings. Doing the math calls for 2800 watts. Would you recommend a 3k or a 4k to get it heated more completely? Can you program the thermostat on these units or is it only manual?

Comment

Couple of things. Rule of thumb is 5-8 watts of electric baseboard heat per square foot of living space. 14 X 20 gives you 280 sq. feet. So you would need from 1400 to 2240 watts total. If the space is properly insulated and the windows are thermally efficient. Also, you can't daisy chain two pieces of electric baseboard. In other words, feed power into one end and break the connection at the other to feed the next electric baseboard. If you do the first one won't work but the second one will. You must feed the second one from where you made the feed connection to the first one and use the built in raceway in the electric baseboard or go back into the wall to run your wire for the second piece. You should be fine with a 2.5kw forced air electric wall mount if you want to go that route and programmable line voltage t/stats are readily available. Edit: In one post you gave the room dimensions as 12 X 20 and the other post 14 X 20. I based the calculations on the larger dimension.
        Last edited by killavolt; 03-19-2009, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X