fish tapes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fish tapes

we been having trouble fishing 4inch and 6 inch conduits any tips we usually use a vacuum when we can

Re: fish tapes

You need a pretty tight fit with your mouse (but not too tight) and the more powerful the vacuum the better. If you have more than a couple of 90º bends it gets dicey as the fish tape can get hung up on the inside radius of the 90º. If I have long runs with multiple 90ºs, I add a pull string as I assemble. Can you split the run anywhere convenient and pull half way?

Comment

i was looking for if you don't have a vacuum .....and just had to use a fish tape is there a specific type to use that would help not to get caught up

Comment

RIDGID 62545-E-2727
        http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Sewer-Tapes

This is a sewer tape but if you look carefully you'll see one end has a roller ball on it.
        That should help it pass through the elbows. You can then use it to pull back a good rope or cable.
        Attached Files

Comment

all a sewer tape is, is a really heavy duty steel fish tape, but was designed for punching a hole in a blockage, I was thinking of suggesting one, it would be much stiffer than a small electrical tape and in a large conduit I think it would work well, I have never tried one as I have never dealt with that large conduit on the farm here,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

What size/type cable and how many?

I remember pulling beverage lines to the bars in clubs and hotels. The payoff was at the end when you had to flush the lines out with what they were going to dispense, like rum or coke or 7-up.

Good thing we didn't have drug and alcohol testing on the job back then.
            "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

I think just using a wider fish tape will help with pushing it.. However what seems to be the problem with using a regular fish tape in your 4" pipe? Is it a long run or lots of bends? Shouldnt be more then 360* worth of bends. You can try and put a larger head (bend the end of the tape wider) and that may help too. It should have a bent tip on it anyways, a straight flat tip will just get hung up on something. Try twisting the tape as well. Also, if you have a vac and don't have a mouse, a string tied to a plastic bag usually works in a pinch.

Comment

Originally posted by Badabing View Post
                Also, if you have a vac and don't have a mouse, a string tied to a plastic bag usually works in a pinch.
                Inflating the bag to a loose fit in the conduit helps if you are using a vacuum.

Comment

In a pinch I've taped a soda bottle on the end of the fish tape. Most of the time we use a shopvac or an air compressor. A plastic grocery bag made into a "parachute" blown down the conduit works well.

Comment

Originally posted by ss434er View Post
                    i was looking for if you don't have a vacuum .....and just had to use a fish tape is there a specific type to use that would help not to get caught up
                    Get a leader for your fish tape.

http://www.greenlee.com/cat_docs/Fishing08_lowrez.pdf

Check page 137
                    John from Baltimore
                    "One day at a time"

Comment

Working...
                    X