Wiring Question - Renter mad a Change

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring Question - Renter mad a Change

In a rental condo, a tenant illegally put in a ceiling fan. which caused the following problem. The fan is connected to a wall switch also on the same circuit is the range hood. When the original light fixture was replaced - by the tenant teh range hood does not have a constant power if the wall switch is on teh range gets power adn so does the light and vicesa versa. Any ideas of what went wrong ? Since its a rental I will be getting an electrician. But I am curious

Re: Wiring Question - Renter mad a Change

Sounds like the tenant not only put an illegal fan in, he also had no clue as to what he was doing. The junction box in the ceiling probably has the hot and neutral passing through for the range hood exhaust fan. It looks like he put the circuit for the range hood exhaust fan on the same switch leg as the ceiling fan. Simple to fix and will probably cost you $150 or so.

Comment

I agree with Killavolt.
      Also, make sure that fan is properly supported. Regular ceiling boxes are not rated for fan support.
      John from Baltimore
      "One day at a time"

Comment

I would bet that the tenant didn't do anything but swap out the light for a fan. The Exhaust fan was already on the light switch because someone else didn't want to run a new circuit for it. Check some of the other units and you will probably find others that have the exhaust fans on the light switch too. Don't usually run the exhaust except when working in the kitchen and the light is on.
        info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Papadan, you might be right, I didn't even consider the ceiling fan being in the kitchen. I assumed it was in an adjacent room, like the dining room or area. We'll have to wait and see if the OP responds as to the location. I, myself would never wire an exhaust fan switched from a light source in the same room or any other room for that matter. I think there are times when you are cooking during the day when you don't need artificial illumination except maybe over the stove with the exhaust fan on. I can't see an inspector approving that kind of work......if it was inspected.

Comment

Maybe just tied incorrectly in the switch box?

Comment

Originally posted by gusty60 View Post
              Anything's possible. Nothing much surprises me anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by gusty60 View Post
                Range hood should not be in a switch box to begin with, but I have seen stranger things too.
                info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Originally posted by papadan View Post
                  Range hood should not be in a switch box to begin with, but I have seen stranger things too.
                  I've wired them from a wall switch on certain jobs to meet ADA requirements.
                  John from Baltimore
                  "One day at a time"

Comment

Thanks for all the good advice. Here is some clarification. The cieling fan is in an adjacent room. The ceiling fan replaced the original new construction light fixture. I purchased the unit new and the Fan and light worked independently until the tenant installed the fan.

Thanks again

Comment

I would go to the switch as well. Very likely the range hood was fed through the switch box and when the tenant added the light, he tied the range hood onto the light switchleg and now both need the switch to be on to work. Very simple fix, find the hot feeding the hood in the box, and tie it onto the hot wire instead of the ceiling fan switchleg and its done.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by piette View Post
                        I would go to the switch as well. Very likely the range hood was fed through the switch box and when the tenant added the light, he tied the range hood onto the light switchleg and now both need the switch to be on to work. Very simple fix, find the hot feeding the hood in the box, and tie it onto the hot wire instead of the ceiling fan switchleg and its done.

Jeff
                        Why would the tenant do anything more than unhook the light and reattach the same black, white, and green wires to the new fan?

Comment

He probably goofed which wire is the switch leg and which one is the feed.

Comment

I had this same problem once when I worked customer service for a builder. Power was pulled for the range hood from the switch box in the master bedroom right behind it. Would only work when switch in bedroom was turned on. Had another that the doorbell would work only when the garage light was switched on. We had some goofy sparkys.

Comment

a lot of people are scarred $hitless of electricity. they kill the branch, then the main, then remove wires from switch. then shake and sweat as they work. lol. breid

Comment

Working...
                              X