X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wedding Rings for Electricians???

Originally posted by JimDon View Post
    Hack,
    Thanks for those graphic pix. That's exactly what I was talking about before. Anybody who doesn't get the point after seeing these pix, -- -- -- well, I guess some day they'll find themselves in an ER looking at a Doc telling them what procedures they're going to try to re-attach the finger and hope that it works.
    Once again, rings, watches, necklaces, jewelry, earrings, etc. DO NOT belong on somebody working in trades like most of us do, whether it is sparky, or plumber or framer or whatever. The results can be devastating.
    Cheers,
    Jim Don
    They say a picture's worth a thousand words. In this case, 1000 is an understatement. I hated to post such graphic pictures but they really make you go "Holy Sh%#, I had no idea that could happen".

Comment

'Nuff Said.

Thanks guys, and Hacksaw123. Feel like keepin' my fingers!

Comment

Originally posted by JimDon View Post
        Sheafferhi,
        Welcome to the forum, if nobody's said that yet. On the ring issue, whether it is metal or ceramic, or made out of PVC plastic, on-the-job is NO place for a wedding ring -- period. Doesn't matter if you're working in a hot panel or not. There are WAY too many ways to lose a finger while working and wearing a ring. I'm surprised your boss hasn't said something about that to you. Pulling wire, grabbing material, even hanging up on a nail while drilling studs, that proud wedding ring might just decide to hang up and remove that finger it's attached to, especially if it an "unbreakable" one. There are other posts in this forum on the wearing of rings, and I remember one gentleman wrote in and said he'd lost his finger when he jumped off the box of a truck and the ring hung up. I bet your fiancee would rather you left that ring on the dresser each morning and came home each night with all your fingers attached than to risk losing it or worse. If you are a stand-up kind of guy, which I am willing to assume you are, that ring can stay home each day (that you work) and you'll be just fine in knowing that you are and will remain married. You come home, put on that ring, go out -- wear it, weekends, no prob., but don't be working in a hazardous trade and risking that finger my friend.
        And yes, mine comes off everytime I am working, either on the job or at home. Wife doesn't mind one bit.
        Cheers to ya,
        Jim Don
        What he said. A ring is too dangerous to wear on the job, and electricity has nothing to do with it.
        John from Baltimore
        "One day at a time"

Comment

"Option B" would be to wear your ring on a gold necklace tucked into the inside of your shirt, preferably your tee-shirt with a collar close to your neck, as to prevent it from catching onto something.

Comment

In my forty-two years of Industrial Maintenance work I have personally had to remove three (3) wedding rings from fingers that had gotten caught in machinery and the fingers were rapidly swelling. Years ago I had made a device much like a nut splitter that would cut the ring quickly if I could get the end of it between the finger and the ring. When a finger is crushed like this, they don't care what you are doing as long as they believe you are going to give them relief > > soon. The first picture posted is very much like one case I remember. The only case I had that had a very bad smell associated with it was the only female case, I had to cut the wedding band and engagement ring off of her finger. The smell was not the finger, it was her pants, really. Please- tell her you love her, but you also love all of your fingers. David

Comment

Originally posted by jeff View Post
              if she has a problem get a tatoo of a ring

I stopped wearing a ring after I caught it once. Didn't hurt myself, but I realized I could have. Wifey didn't like the "no ring" idea, so I did this. I do have to reminder her periodically that it can be removed/ blacked out.

Comment

Aw man... stupid random images on the front page... I saw the picture of the finger damage and its been disturbing me for the last 24 hrs.

Comment

Well, that is enough convincing for me. After 7 years of wearing it while working without incident, mine will now sit safe at home on the shelf.
                  Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Electricians and other professionals please remember to always think SAFETY FIRST and remember you only get one pair of hands, eyes and ears. If you won't protect yourself, who will? Rings, other jewelry and neck ties have NO place on the job. I want to give the stupid YUPPIE type bosses a double blasting of rock salt when the put image before safety. Take the ring off and put it in a safe place. Then when finished put it back on. Your wife would much rather you not be harmed. You can have your work shift embroidered with "I Have A Wonderful Wife" is you like. Or if you're a lady electrician "I Love My Husband" or such.

Comment

Definately no jewelry, especially a ring. I once saw a guy hanging by his ring finger/ring. He was coming down a temp stair, with a temp handrail. Sliding his hand along. A nail head was just proud of the wood, and hooked the ring. He goes down, and got tore up pretty good.

It is super dangerous. Jewelry of any kind has NO PLACE in on a site, or in any trade for that matter! Leave the bling at home!

Comment

Originally posted by Hacksaw123 View Post
                        These images always come to mind when I see someone on the job with a ring on.
                        Did he lose the whole finger or the one right next to it?????

Comment

Originally posted by sheafferhi View Post
                          Hello everybody,

this is my first time posting in this forum and i'm wondering what you guys think.
                          i have been working electric for about 5 years now and i am getting married in 3 months. i really would like to wear a ring (never wore any jewelry before, but think this is important.) i asked my boss if he had any recommendations and he said just simply take it off before you work in a hot panel or before work each day. i could do that and my fiance would not mind, but i would really prefer to keep it on if i could.
                          i was just at the jeweler's and we were looking at ceramic rings. this new hi-tech ceramic. very strong and scratch resistant, but its still ceramic so it is breakable. maybe a good thing that it breaks so it doesn't pinch your finger. as far as i know, ceramic is not conductive. that's what they use to insulate conductors with. they are not very expensive (about $100)

just wondering what you all think...
                          I know a nine fingered mechanic who accidentally arced a pair of car stereo capacitors with a crescent wrench. His wedding ring was in direct contact with the wrench and heated up extremely quickly - cooking about an inch of flesh around the ring. He still uses the wrench but the ring finger was no good and had to be discarded.

Comment

Which one of these wedding bands would be the better buy?

I like the 2nd one the best. Neither is my personal style, but I like the looks of the 2nd one better, and it fits what you say you want better.
                            weddings on a budget

Comment

The ring I have never had a problem with (sure I have snagged it a few times).Except egging it out a bit squeezing pliers , wrenches etc.The jeweler can always round em' back out ..One guy I worked with years ago wore jewelry every day..mostly piercings, ear rings , nipple rings, rings through the eye brows, the nose..quite disturbing ..I shuttered just thinking about a right angle drill ripping those out
                              ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I have been wearing my wedding band, gold chains and a watch for the 35 years I have been in the trade. I have never ever had one issue,
                                The only time I ever took any of it off, was if the facility did not allow them.

I see no issue at all and would proudly wear my ring on any job unless it was not allowed.
                                I lost an expensive ring once when some idiotic company made me remove it. From then on I would attach the ring to my chain and button up my shirt so they could not see it.

Congratulations.
                                Licensed Electrician

Comment

Working...
                                X