Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wedding Rings for Electricians???

Hello everybody,

this is my first time posting in this forum and i'm wondering what you guys think.
    i have been working electric for about 5 years now and i am getting married in 3 months. i really would like to wear a ring (never wore any jewelry before, but think this is important.) i asked my boss if he had any recommendations and he said just simply take it off before you work in a hot panel or before work each day. i could do that and my fiance would not mind, but i would really prefer to keep it on if i could.
    i was just at the jeweler's and we were looking at ceramic rings. this new hi-tech ceramic. very strong and scratch resistant, but its still ceramic so it is breakable. maybe a good thing that it breaks so it doesn't pinch your finger. as far as i know, ceramic is not conductive. that's what they use to insulate conductors with. they are not very expensive (about $100)

just wondering what you all think...

Re: Wedding Rings for Electricians???

get a gold chain and wear it around your neck! [EDIT>>> a very short chain and preferred not to wear it at all ...thanks BOB.D]
    Suppose you have to jerk away quickly? metal or ceramic ring you may/can/will jam your finger and do serious damage.

I have been married 26 years, plus one for the learner's permit!
    I wore the ring the day of the wedding and on the honeymoon...then it went into a secure place and I never wear anything on my hands/fingers...I even pull my watch over my elbow
    or remove it when working with electricity or for that matter power tools.

If you require a note to your soon to be bride concerning limb/finger safety..I'm confident many on this site will be happy to e-mail her a note!

Cactus Man
    Last edited by cactusman; 03-28-2009, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Sheafferhi,
      Welcome to the forum, if nobody's said that yet. On the ring issue, whether it is metal or ceramic, or made out of PVC plastic, on-the-job is NO place for a wedding ring -- period. Doesn't matter if you're working in a hot panel or not. There are WAY too many ways to lose a finger while working and wearing a ring. I'm surprised your boss hasn't said something about that to you. Pulling wire, grabbing material, even hanging up on a nail while drilling studs, that proud wedding ring might just decide to hang up and remove that finger it's attached to, especially if it an "unbreakable" one. There are other posts in this forum on the wearing of rings, and I remember one gentleman wrote in and said he'd lost his finger when he jumped off the box of a truck and the ring hung up. I bet your fiancee would rather you left that ring on the dresser each morning and came home each night with all your fingers attached than to risk losing it or worse. If you are a stand-up kind of guy, which I am willing to assume you are, that ring can stay home each day (that you work) and you'll be just fine in knowing that you are and will remain married. You come home, put on that ring, go out -- wear it, weekends, no prob., but don't be working in a hazardous trade and risking that finger my friend.
      And yes, mine comes off everytime I am working, either on the job or at home. Wife doesn't mind one bit.
      Cheers to ya,
      Jim Don

Comment

Thank you everyone. I suppose you're all right. i think i will get a normal ring and just take it off for work. i guess i just needed to hear it from a few more people. your advice is much appreciated.

Comment

I know you want to show your faithfulness to your bride but no rings if you want your finger, I wore mine at first on days off work, and so on (not at work and put it away), and it been away for many years.
          the key is be faithful in heart and practice and the ring will not be an issue for your bride,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
            I know you want to show your faithfulness to your bride but no rings if you want your finger, I wore mine at first on days off work, and so on (not at work and put it away), and it been away for many years.
            the key is be faithful in heart and practice and the ring will not be an issue for your bride,
            What he said.

Comment

if she has a problem get a tatoo of a ring

Comment

Originally posted by jeff View Post
                if she has a problem get a tatoo of a ring
                I'm not really into Tattoos (don't have any myself and probably never will), but this struck me as a really good way to combine the symbolism of a ring w/ job site safety.

Comment

I have seen first hand what a wedding ring can do to someone installing battery cables on a car and not paying attention! A co-worker of mine some years ago received a lovely circular burn that necessitated the removal of the ring in pieces by the ER. And as a machinist I have seen what gloves, rings, and long sleeves can do around machinery. Your girl will understand you not wearing it, a lot better than she will understand you not having a finger due to preventable causes. If you want to have it with you put it on your keychain! My father never wore a wedding ring as any rings irritated his skin. They made it 50 years.

Comment

...get a gold chain and wear it around your neck!...
                    NO! This is a bad idea. It can fall out of your shirt and contact energized equipment of get tangled in something. If you have it on a metal chain that is even worse. Even a lanyard made of cloth can become conductive when it gets damp or wet from perspiration, thereby creating a shock hazard. Places where I have worked such as electric generating stations do not allow anyone working in electrical panels to wear any jewelry, rings included, and you need gloves rated for the voltage in the panel (>50v) and/or must install temporary insulating barriers between energized portions of the panel and your work area, that is if the panel can not be de-energized altogether.

OSHA 1910 (General Industry Rules)

1910.269(l)(6)
                    "Apparel."
                    1910.269(l)(6)(i)
                    When work is performed within reaching distance of exposed energized parts of equipment, the employer shall [shall means MUST] ensure that each employee removes or renders nonconductive all exposed conductive articles, such as key or watch chains, rings, or wrist watches or bands, unless such articles do not increase the hazards associated with contact with the energized parts.
                    1910.269(l)(6)(ii)
                    The employer shall train each employee who is exposed to the hazards of flames or electric arcs in the hazards involved.
                    1910.269(l)(6)(iii)
                    The employer shall ensure that each employee who is exposed to the hazards of flames or electric arcs does not wear clothing that, when exposed to flames or electric arcs, could increase the extent of injury that would be sustained by the employee.

Note: Clothing made from the following types of fabrics, either alone or in blends, is prohibited by this paragraph, unless the employer can demonstrate that the fabric has been treated to withstand the conditions that may be encountered or that the clothing is worn in such a manner as to eliminate the hazard involved: acetate, nylon, polyester, rayon.

1910.269(l)(7)
                    "Fuse handling." When fuses must be installed or removed with one or both terminals energized at more than 300 volts or with exposed parts energized at more than 50 volts, the employer shall ensure that tools or gloves rated for the voltage are used. When expulsion-type fuses are installed with one or both terminals energized at more than 300 volts, the employer shall ensure that each employee wears eye protection meeting the requirements of Subpart I of this Part, uses a tool rated for the voltage, and is clear of the exhaust path of the fuse barrel.
                    1910.269(l)(8)
                    "Covered (noninsulated) conductors." The requirements of this section which pertain to the hazards of exposed live parts also apply when work is performed in the proximity of covered (noninsulated) wires.
                    1910.269(l)(9)
                    "Noncurrent-carrying metal parts." Noncurrent-carrying metal parts of equipment or devices, such as transformer cases and circuit breaker housings, shall be treated as energized at the highest voltage to which they are exposed, unless the employer inspects the installation and determines that these parts are grounded before work is performed.

Last edited by Bob D.; 03-28-2009, 07:18 PM.
                    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

i had an issue for the first couple of months working with pipe wrenches and channellocks. the pressure point was on my ring and it felt bad.

took a little time to adjust and all is good.

i did learn that any sparks from grinding or welding is bad as gold is soft and the hot sparks stick to the gold.

needed to grind off 3 spots that were etched into my ring. for that i removed it from my finger.

so far so good. snakes, jetters, jack hammers, shovels, core drills, all work with my ring. took 2 years to break my rubber watch band.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Wrap a bunch of electrical tape around your ring.

Comment

I arced mine out changing a starter in a CAT, then the HF jumped to it when I was TIG welding, no big deal. If I don't wear it it is a big deal
                          My ring is Titanium so It will last me a while, and will shatter before it crushes my finger like a gold or soft metal ring.

Comment

These images always come to mind when I see someone on the job with a ring on.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Hack,
                              Thanks for those graphic pix. That's exactly what I was talking about before. Anybody who doesn't get the point after seeing these pix, -- -- -- well, I guess some day they'll find themselves in an ER looking at a Doc telling them what procedures they're going to try to re-attach the finger and hope that it works.
                              Once again, rings, watches, necklaces, jewelry, earrings, etc. DO NOT belong on somebody working in trades like most of us do, whether it is sparky, or plumber or framer or whatever. The results can be devastating.
                              Cheers,
                              Jim Don

Comment

Working...
                              X