X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ontario Code - Outside Recepticals

I was giving my buddy a few tips for wiring his garage. He is installing 4 outside recepticals and I told him that each one had to be on it's own circuit (and had to be a GFI). Then I started to second guess myself. It's been a while since I was in the electrical field - I was a 3rd year apprentice years ago before I changed career paths. I don't have access to a new code book so I thought I'd fire it off in these forums.

So, the question is, does each outside receptical have to be on a dedicated GFI circuit or can all 4 be put on one circuit. This is in Ontario.

Re: Ontario Code - Outside Recepticals

Here in the States Outside receptacles have to be GFCI protected. If your friend is running a new circuit for these outside receptacles he can install a GFCI receptacle as the first device in the circuit. All 3 devices downstream of the GFCI (the 4 total) would be protected.

Comment

that is correct.. you install the first one as a GFCI and then the others off the load side of the gfci. i did this with my garage and it all passed inspection.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffntanya2003 View Post
        that is correct.. you install the first one as a GFCI and then the others off the load side of the gfci. i did this with my garage and it all passed inspection.
        OK, thanks for the response. Somewhere in the back of my dusty old brain, I thought each one had to be on it's own circuit.

Comment

only one gfci is needed if they are all on the same circuit. if you have more than one circuit then you will need additional gfci's

Comment

Working...
          X