X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100 amp fuse box to 200 amp circuit breakers

Upgrading to 200amp circuit breakers, but want to do it in stages. Is it safe to put in new panel w/ 200 main now leaving existing wire from pole, to weatherhead to inside meter, then upgrade main wire outside and place meter outside to really give me 200 amp service later this summer?

I have never seen a main trip except when intentionally shut down, so it would not seem to be dangerous.

Thank you for advice.

I

Re: 100 amp fuse box to 200 amp circuit breakers

Absolutely not!! The wire from the weatherhead to the meter socket and the wire from the socket to your existing panel is rated for what your current main fuse or breaker amperage is. In the event of a short circuit, the wire could fry before the main trips with a 200A breaker. You never want to let the factory installed smoke out of the wire. I have seen plenty of main breakers trip from stoves, electric heat, hot water heaters, etc. A good electrician could do a service change in a half a day. I would get three estimates, all based on the same material being used. The wire from the pole to your weatherhead is #2 triplex, will not be replaced and is rated for 200A because it is hanging in free air.

Comment

not sayin nothin now, just askin, just askin. i have been asked this face to face. well, when you put in that 200 amp panel, then you could sell that puppy as having a 200 amp service. breid.

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
        not sayin nothin now, just askin, just askin. i have been asked this face to face. well, when you put in that 200 amp panel, then you could sell that puppy as having a 200 amp service. breid.
        Ouch!!

Comment

Several years ago we put in a new CB load panel (150 amp) and kept the old fuse box in place so that we could later upgrade the second floor wiring over a couple of months. But, here is how it was done (and passed inspection)...

We ran a new service line (weather head, new meter box, line from meter box to new 150 amp panel, new ground rods, etc. We also tied all the first floor circuits into the new CB panel. But the second floor was much more challenging and in the heat of the summer, nobody wanted to work in the crawl space attic.

So, we installed a 50 amp breaker in the new panel and ran three #4 (don't remember the type) wires to the old fuse box, which now only fed the upstairs.

I suppose, if your local code accepted it, you could do something similar with place you are inquiring about.

CWS

Comment

From the OP's description, this sounds like a single family home. He could put the 200 Amp panel in, but his overcurrent device (main breaker would have to match the ampacity of his service entrance cable. A 100 Amp main breaker costs $80+ installation. It sounded to me as if his main concern was affordability so he would be better off waiting to do it all at once when he can afford the complete project. The panel would be a mess with 4/0 cable crossing over all the wiring in the panel if he waited to upgrade the service entrance cable and meter socket at a later date. I, personally would have to charge a lot more to do it the way he suggested in the first post.

Comment

Originally posted by Syracuse Realtor View Post
              Upgrading to 200amp circuit breakers, but want to do it in stages. Is it safe to put in new panel w/ 200 main now leaving existing wire from pole, to weatherhead to inside meter, then upgrade main wire outside and place meter outside to really give me 200 amp service later this summer?

I have never seen a main trip except when intentionally shut down, so it would not seem to be dangerous.

Thank you for advice.

I
              No it is not a wise idea due the exsting service entrance conductors can be really in poor shape.

I did see few pepoles do that and end up calling me to fix their mess.

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
              From the OP's description, this sounds like a single family home. He could put the 200 Amp panel in, but his overcurrent device (main breaker would have to match the ampacity of his service entrance cable. A 100 Amp main breaker costs $80+ installation. It sounded to me as if his main concern was affordability so he would be better off waiting to do it all at once when he can afford the complete project. The panel would be a mess with 4/0 cable crossing over all the wiring in the panel if he waited to upgrade the service entrance cable and meter socket at a later date. I, personally would have to charge a lot more to do it the way he suggested in the first post.
              I will just to the same way as killavolt describing it much easier to install the 4/0's { 120mm²'s} when the load center is empty but if it already ran the conductors in there it can really raise the PITA factor big time.

The other thing you will need to do is check with your local building office for latest code update some case they will ask you to bring it up date with what they required like AFCI , GFCI , smoke alarm etc that something you need to check it out along the way.

Merci,Marc

Comment

you could mount a 200 amp brekaer panel on the wall near the fuse box, you can move all the circuits in the fuse panel into the new 200 amp panel, then you can come off the old fuse panel with 100 amp wire and feed the new 200 amp panel through a 100 amp breaker mounted in the panel. The 100 amp breaker will serve as the main breaker for the panel and will not overload the wire, then at some later date you can run new 200 amp wire from the 200 amp panel to an outside meter with new 200a wire to the wxhead. This is OK to do.

Comment

Originally posted by QROKING View Post
                  you could mount a 200 amp brekaer panel on the wall near the fuse box, you can move all the circuits in the fuse panel into the new 200 amp panel, then you can come off the old fuse panel with 100 amp wire and feed the new 200 amp panel through a 100 amp breaker mounted in the panel. The 100 amp breaker will serve as the main breaker for the panel and will not overload the wire, then at some later date you can run new 200 amp wire from the 200 amp panel to an outside meter with new 200a wire to the wxhead. This is OK to do.
                  I hope he has a wire stretcher

Comment

Working...
                  X