X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motor kicking breaker

i have a water pump for a hot tub that works perfect with no load but the minute i put ut under load it kicks the breaker would a weak starter capacitor cause this? thanks for any help you can give me

Re: motor kicking breaker

A number of things can cause this. Yes a weak starting capacitor can be one cause, an undersized breaker that can't handle the inrush current is another cause. Also loose connections in the panel, or the terminals inside the tub, or both can cause too much current to get pulled. Plus old, weakened breakers are known for nuisance tripping.

Also, check for water in the terminal housings. These are just a number of things off the top of my head. Welcome to the world of troubleshooting.

Comment

If this is a 120Volt hot tub, there is a control circuit that prevents the heater and the pump from running at the same time. You could disconnect the heater to see if the motor then operates under load without tripping the breaker. If this is a 240Volt hot tub the pump and heater can run together and the problem could be as tailgunner described.

Comment

Oh, to add onto this, if it's a 120v tub, the hot tub heater can be on one circuit, while the pump be on it's own.

Comment

thanks for the info i checked all connections and could not find any loose or wore wires but the pump is about 7 years old should the breaker be changed? if i unplug the motor, the breaker does not kick,this is the first time i have had any problem with it.

Comment

Originally posted by johnny37 View Post
            thanks for the info i checked all connections and could not find any loose or wore wires but the pump is about 7 years old should the breaker be changed? if i unplug the motor, the breaker does not kick,this is the first time i have had any problem with it.

If the pump is THAT old, is there a way to inject a little lubricant into the bearings?

Comment

yes i oiled them up and the motor turns very easy with no force

Comment

Working...
              X