Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cable conductor selection

HI
    This is my first post and I have a question that I hope someone would answer.
    I have been asked to choose proper cable for a welder 600v,singlephase,250A which run from disconnect at the main bus (400 A disconnect). Looking at table 2 of code book for type R90 what would be the nearest size and what type of conductor should I choose for easy installation in addition what would be table for ground conductor.
    Thanks a lot Mike.

Re: cable conductor selection

is the 250 amp the primary or the secondary or the out put of the welder?

what does the plate on the welder say the amp draw is?

what is the distance your wanting to run?

Are you wanting an "extension cord" or is this in conduit on the wall from the main to the welder plug?
    Last edited by BHD; 05-02-2009, 06:20 PM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

HI
      Thanks for the reply. I am not in the factory to give you more detail but I know that the welder nameplate on the panel states that 250 A single phase 600V and is going to be conduit installation from main disconnect to the panel circuit breaker and distance is about 30 feet.
      I think you are knowledgeable on this topic can you tell me one example how to approach this. Thanks a lot my friend Mike

Comment

If i were doing this install, i would use 2 #4/0 thhn conductors and 1 #1thhn grounding conductor.Also i would run 1 1/2"conduit from panel to welder disconnect.

Comment

Originally posted by huckster4 View Post
          If i were doing this install, i would use 2 #4/0 thhn conductors and 1 #1thhn grounding conductor.Also i would run 1 1/2"conduit from panel to welder disconnect.

Hate to be harsh but are you saying you will need just two conductors with 4/0 {120mm²} plus #1 {50mm²} for grounding conductor ?

If that the case it may squeak by in some location and senice the OP mention welder they diffrent rules to deal with it and need to know the duty cycle that will really affect the conductor sizing.

If this welder have more than 70% duty cycle IMO better off bump up one size larger something like 300KCM{150mm²} conductor size but for grounding conductor size you can stay at #1 BUT the conducit you will need to be change to 2 inch anyway IMO 1.5 inch may squeak by with 120mm²'s if only straght shot but with any bend the bet is off.

Merci,Marc

Comment

Working...
          X