Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extension cord usage... Help Please

Hi,

I have a problem in one of my rental units.
    The outlet for the dishwasher and garbage disposal is located in the wrong place. Instead of being under the sink, it's located behind the dishwasher.

I purchased a new dishwasher and couldn't install it properly because there's not enough clearance to secure the anchor straps of the dishwasher due to the location of the electrical outlet. The plugs for the dishwasher and disposal are in the way.

I was wondering what you think of this quick fix: I purchased 2 14 gauge single plug extension cords that are designed for appliances and have flat heads, thus would allow me to properly install the dishwasher. I was thinking of securing the cords so that they would be away from any possible water leak and I might even wrap the connections with galvanizing tape.

I really don't want to go through the expense of relocating the outlet.

Would my fix be a code violation?

Thanks,
    Pat
    If it ain't broke, I haven't seen it.

Re: Extension cord usage... Help Please

Not an electrician so not as familiar with the NEC as they are but I am pretty sure that you CAN NOT use an extension cord in this manner.

Wait for one of the sparkys to weigh in on this issue but I doubt you will like the answer.

If this is a rental unit, you need to have an electrician do the work. Here (NJ) the property owner can not perform repairs that require a license (plumber, electrician, etc), a licensed contractor must do the work. The reason is to protect the renter from "repairs" or alterations just such as you propose to do.

In the long run it will be cheaper to hire a licensed contractor to do the work. Much cheaper than fines and lawyers, and court costs, and jail time.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Cord can not be used as a long term solution.
      They must remain accessible on both ends.
      You need to have the receptacles moved to a location that allows them to work without the cords.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
        In the long run it will be cheaper to hire a licensed contractor to do the work. Much cheaper than fines and lawyers, and court costs, and jail time.
        .....not to mention the lost time and revenue for the owners while you're cleaning up after the fire, explaining your side of the story to the insurance companies, Fire Department, Fire Investigators, all of that paperwork....

I'm lazy. I'd rather do it right the first time so that I don't have to come back to it.

Mick

Comment

Maybe I'm confused. Where are you planning on plugging these appliances in with these cords? Still behind the dishwasher? Technically we use 'appliance cords' when we wire dishwashers / disposals. It's a 6' or 8' cord with a molded plug and wires stripped on the other end. It's also considered a means of disconnect.

Comment

A cord and plug connected dishwasher is allowable. You may not use an extension cord to extend the length to the plug, put you can use J cord connected directly to the unit which then plugs into an outlet. The fact that you can unplug it from the outlet serves as a disconnect. It is not usually done this way, but cord and plug is allowed.

Comment

I'm wondering if he means a pigtail and not an extension cord.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                I'm wondering if he means a pigtail and not an extension cord.

Mark

I didn't take it that way Mark, he says he bought two cords and wants to know if he can use them to reach an outlet further away than the length of the included cord.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                X