120 or 240 for table saw?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 120 or 240 for table saw?

I am getting a new table saw for my garage shop. It comes pre-wired for 120v but can be changed to 240v. My question is, is there any advantage to having it wired for 240v? My garage is on a separate 100 amp service enterance and meter and either way, the saw would be on a dedicated circuit and would not be using an extension cord.

Re: 120 or 240 for table saw?

Theoretically, adequate circuits of both voltages should power the saw well, but 240v does offer better amperage flow with less voltage loss for the huge peaks at startup and recovering from bogging down so it comes up to speed and recovers faster under heavy load. To dispel common myths, there will be no horsepower or utility bill changes.

If you're 120v service isn't adequate and your lights are dimming, etc., it's probably worth running a new line (but it's sounds like you've got the right stuff in place). If have have a 240v line available, there's nothing lost and possibly something gained, so I'd do it, but if don't have 240v available, and your 120v line is doing a good job, no reason to spend the money on 240v IMHO.

Comment

Thanks, I think I'll leave it at 120v unless I upgrade the motor in the future.

Comment

My neighbor has been given an old table saw. He would like me to rewire it from 240v to 120v I have left all my books for motors up north and need to know how to rewire this motor. It is now wired 3,5,2 Yellow, white black. 8,4,(number missing) White, gray, white. and 1,(number missing) Red and black. LR63420 Model D. No name plate or wiring diagrams. Is there anyone out there who can help?

Comment

Originally posted by oxy-jen View Post
          My neighbor has been given an old table saw. He would like me to rewire it from 240v to 120v I have left all my books for motors up north and need to know how to rewire this motor. It is now wired 3,5,2 Yellow, white black. 8,4,(number missing) White, gray, white. and 1,(number missing) Red and black. LR63420 Model D. No name plate or wiring diagrams. Is there anyone out there who can help?
          What is the make and model of the saw? What is the age? If it is really old you might try the OWWM website for a copy of the old manual which may have what you are looking for regarding wiring for 120 or 240. Then again it may be a 240V only motor.

Might it happen to be a Craftsman table saw; model 315.228390?

or is it maybe this one?

10in table saw
          Price: $150.00
          Address: Landsbridge & Hwy50, Bolton, ON
          Date Listed: 20-Apr-09

Cooper 10in table saw 115v tsc serial#73441,motor LR63420 Model D. Located in the Bolton area,will deliver.Call Alberto at xxx-xxx-3135
          Last edited by Bob D.; 05-17-2009, 02:04 PM.
          "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Working...
          X