X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southwire no lube thhn?

What do you guys know about this Southwire THHN that they claim needs no lube? Just curious as to whether its true or not. I will be needing some 1/0 pretty soon and came across this "no lube sim-pull" stuff on ebay while looking for good deals on wire.

-Andy

Re: Southwire no lube thhn?

Andy, if you don't use any lube while pulling wire, God bless ya'. Lube is cheap and makes the pull so much easier. And it's good insurance against abraididng any of your wire.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
      What do you guys know about this Southwire THHN that they claim needs no lube? Just curious as to whether its true or not. I will be needing some 1/0 pretty soon and came across this "no lube sim-pull" stuff on ebay while looking for good deals on wire.

-Andy
      I played with that stuff for a back-up generator, size 500 kcmil. That "no-lube" coating works great, especially in PVC. As long as it's warm enough outside, and the pipe is clean, that wire practically pulls itself. The hard part was unloading it off the truck without getting crushed under the coils, since it was damn near impossible for me to even grip the stuff. What is that material anyway? Teflon?

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
        I played with that stuff for a back-up generator, size 500 kcmil. That "no-lube" coating works great, especially in PVC. As long as it's warm enough outside, and the pipe is clean, that wire practically pulls itself. The hard part was unloading it off the truck without getting crushed under the coils, since it was damn near impossible for me to even grip the stuff. What is that material anyway? Teflon?
        I agree, I pulled three 350 KCMILS through a 2" Ridgid by myself using the Simpull wire. Might sound easy but it had two 90's in it as well. That alone says enough to me.

Jeff

Comment

>> I agree, I pulled three 350 KCMILS through a 2" Ridgid by myself using the Simpull wire. Might sound easy but it had two 90's in it as well. That alone says enough to me.

Jeff, pulling large wires never sounds easy to me! As a DIY guy, it's pretty scary. I always use a larger conduit than needed, super careful to keep the conduit clean, lots of lube, check the calculations for wire jam, and agonize over making the pull as easy as possible! And then I'm still sweating when it's time to pull the wire.

I won the ebay auction so now I have 247 feet of 1/0 sim-pull that I will pick up from the seller later in the week. I'll be pulling three conductors through 2" pvc (have to check for jam first) I'm hoping for a 90, then a dead straight shot and another 90 at the end.

I'll probably chicken out at the end and use lube anyway, as killavolt suggests.

Thanks for the feedback!

-Andy

Comment

I just pulled 4 wires (4 gauge) of this brand, Southwire No Lube thru 125' of 1.25" pvc and it was remarkably easy (one 90). The only place you should put lube is on the head where you attach it to your pull line. I pull wire and cable for a living.
            Last edited by Palomino; 05-19-2009, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Hey Palomino,

How come you say to just lube the leading edge? Is it because (A) that's all that's needed, (B) it saves the slimy mess or (C) something bad happens if you lube it all up in the traditional way? I'm about convinced to try this with minimal lube based on your and the other positive comments... I'm using pvc also... but curious as to the reason for your advice. I will be using 2" pvc and a poly rope for the pulling.

Probably won't get to pulling the wire for a few weeks at best.

Thanks!

-Andy

Comment

The southwire no lube is about as slick as it can get. I just like to put lube on the head which is usually taped up with electrical tape. The head is the only part that usually has trouble going thru a turn in the conduit or a tough spot. If you like you can add more but it will not help or hurt either way.

If your two 90's are just one into the ground and one back up at the other side and the rest is straight I think your going to be surprised how easy this goes for you. If this is the case I sometimes dump a little lube into the conduit on both sides. The only real challenge is getting the head past the turns. I like to stagger the wires 6"-10" or so that way they do not hit the 90's all at once.

Also, if this is a conduit with nothing else in it you will not have any problems unless the conduit was not installed correctly or if it just has some crazy stupid bends :P When you start adding wire or cable to a conduit with other wires or cable already in it (which we do more often on the telecom side of things) that's when you can start to worry about your methods a little more.

Hope this helps
                Last edited by Palomino; 05-20-2009, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Sounds good.

I have the simple conduit run. Nothing else in it, and as you say one 90 to get underground and one 90 to come back up. I always stagger the wires at the head end for exactly the same reason you cite... it seems to help a lot. I get the wire tomorrow but it will be at least a week or two and maybe three before I get to that job. I'll let you know how the pull goes.

Thanks again all,

-Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
                    Sounds good.

I have the simple conduit run. Nothing else in it, and as you say one 90 to get underground and one 90 to come back up. I always stagger the wires at the head end for exactly the same reason you cite... it seems to help a lot. I get the wire tomorrow but it will be at least a week or two and maybe three before I get to that job. I'll let you know how the pull goes.

Thanks again all,

-Andy
                    You will not regret it. If you have already gotten the wire by the time of my post, I'm sure you will already get a feel for that wire by just trying to carry it. Good luck holding onto it!

Comment

Working...
                    X