X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do they make a special, large plug for this

We bought 125' of 10/2 w/ground outdoor wire. It's multi-strand, flexible wire, but it is very large. The standard 110-v plugs aren't working very well because of the size of the wires. Do they make a special plug for such wires? (We already wired an outdoor box and receptacle to one end).

Thanks for any help on this...
    Measure TWICE - Cut ONCE! 'Cause the Lumber Stretcher is broken!
    I'd throw more things away, but I'm afraid someone might want them...
    My DIY and HOW To Articles and Videos

Re: Do they make a special, large plug for this

If I understand correctly, you are trying to find a plug end that will work with 10/2 w/ground. Hubbell makes them, I think the IP20 will suit your needs. It is rated for 30 amps 125 volts. Some people call receptacles plugs and if this is the case Hubbell makes them too. You will probably have to go to an electrical supply house to get them or order online. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
      If I understand correctly, you are trying to find a plug end that will work with 10/2 w/ground. Hubbell makes them, I think the IP20 will suit your needs. It is rated for 30 amps 125 volts. Some people call receptacles plugs and if this is the case Hubbell makes them too. You will probably have to go to an electrical supply house to get them or order online. Hope this helps.
      It helps a LOT - thank you kindly. I did have the receptacle/plug wording correct, but I know what you mean. Used to drive hubby nutso when I said 'plug' when referring to a receptacle.

Thank you again!
      Measure TWICE - Cut ONCE! 'Cause the Lumber Stretcher is broken!
      I'd throw more things away, but I'm afraid someone might want them...
      My DIY and HOW To Articles and Videos

Comment

Luci

Are you trying to make up a super extension cord, or is this for installed work?

If you're trying to make up a super extension cord where the wire/cable is round and flexible then you need a plug and a female connector rather than a receptacle. Please post more info and if you can look at the wire/cable jacket and post what's on it.

Do you need 20 Amp rated devices or 15 Amp? 30 Amp maybe? The more info you can provide the better.

Example1: 10-2 type NM or UF

Example2: 10-3 type SOW, SOOW, STW or such
        Last edited by Woussko; 06-01-2009, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Sounds like you have something like a 10-3 SOOW for temp power. I make up a lot of these. Especially for folks' generators. I like to use the twist lock style plugs and receptacles as I feel they're safe and heavy duty enough for the amperage involved (like 30 Amps or more). In your case a L5-30 would be good. Most of these are listed on pages 118-122 of an Ugly's Electrical Reference. Don't have one? Get one! Less than $15 and handy as hell. I've got one in every truck, in the office, at home, etc.. That, an NEC book and common sense can get you a long ways.

Comment

James

How do you like this one with 10-4 type SOOW and L14-30 plug & connector?

I wish I knew a good source for 10-4 SJEOOW or close with a bright yellow jacket. Woods has it but they use SJTW which is stiff as a board in cold weather.

Coleman Cable and General Cable both make what I want, but the distributor said I have to buy a 1000 foot huge spool to get any. NO WAY ... For my limited needs black serves well enough.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
              James

How do you like this one with 10-4 type SOOW and L14-30 plug & connector?

I wish I knew a good source for 10-4 SJEOOW or close with a bright yellow jacket. Woods has it but they use SJTW which is stiff as a board in cold weather.

Coleman Cable and General Cable both make what I want, but the distributor said I have to buy a 1000 foot huge spool to get any. NO WAY ... For my limited needs black serves well enough.

Yep, that's the way to go for this stuff! Use that and 8/4 a lot. SJEOOW harder to get and I have to get 500' spools. Always wind up using SOOW or equivalent because it's just what's available. As a small business I can't have too much wire laying around. Bad to make a profit... Copper prices just dropped a bunch too and I have unused spools of #6 and #12 laying around, about a dozen each. DOH!

Comment

You may like this .PDF cord and cordset catalog of Carol by General Cable. If you do download it look at the picture showing yellow jacketed 3 conductor cable. It's what they now call "Super VuTron Supreme" which used to be Super VuTron 3. This is the really good stuff but the $$$ for it kills us. There's some good info in the PDF catalog about it.

http://www.generalcable.com/NR/rdonl...set_July08.pdf

Comment

Working...
                X