X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Commercial Electric" can lights

I've installed about a dozen 5" and 6" can light housings that I bought at Home Depot under the brand name "Commercial Electric". The housings don't seem to be much, if at all, different than Halo, other than they cost a few bucks less. I was just rooting around on the web and discovered that the address for Commercial Electric, as given on the packaging, is 2455 Paces Ferry Road N.W. in Atlanta. This, it turns out, is Home Depot's corporate address.

So, I guess Commercial Electric is a Home Depot house brand. Does anyone know who makes the fixtures for H.D.? Any comments or experience with these? I haven't used any fancy trims, but if I need to, will Halo or any other trims fit these housings?

Thanks in advance for the info.

-Andy

Re: "Commercial Electric" can lights

I dont really know if the trims are interchangeable, i would go to homedepot and look at them, if they look the same, you can probably try them out there too and see if they work. I have *cough* used the commercial electric 'mini down' lights, that are like 3.5 or 4" that come with the halogen bulb, and trim for like 10.00. We used them in our kitchen because the old 6" halos looked like crap. I love those little ones. I don't know why anyone would pay way more for another mfg to make those type since there's nothing to them. However the bulbs themselves are like 5.00$ each so if i had to replace them i could just buy a new fixture and replace the trim while i'm at it lol. The small ones are great for cutting into wood too, you get a nice tight fit. Anyways, off topic, but thought i'd share that the commercial electric stuff isn't crap! The tool kits weren't that bad either.

Comment

Thanks for the response. The 5 and 6 inch IC Comm. Elect. housings look pretty much just like Halo, same gage of metal, same cheesy airtite gaskets, and all that. All the thing has to do is fit the hole, hold the bulb and not light itself on fire.

I know those little kits you're talking about and they are definitely very good looking - and cheap! I have a large skylight in the kitchen and plan to put four of those up in the duct to light it up at night.

I was over to HD today for romex staples and took a look at the Halo & Comm Elect. again. It looks to me like the trims should work. I asked the guy there in electrical and he thought they would, too (for whatever that's worth).

-Andy

Comment

first let me say that i am 13 and only telling you what the guy at home depot told me
        last night my mom got 10 of these can lights(halo)and i had to get the guy from electrical to figure them out, when it came time to get the trim he said that comercial elecrtic and halo are owned by home depot and are basically the same thing. Question, I thouht they were suposed to be airtight as in comepletly sealled but the seams are overlapping and riveted so unless the put silicone in the joints ther is no way the are airtight, so what is the deal with calling them airtight?

Comment

For what this is worth, HALO is part of Copper Lighting a division of Cooper Industries.

Comment

Originally posted by metalmeltr View Post
            first let me say that i am 13 and only telling you what the guy at home depot told me
            last night my mom got 10 of these can lights(halo)and i had to get the guy from electrical to figure them out, when it came time to get the trim he said that comercial elecrtic and halo are owned by home depot and are basically the same thing. Question, I thouht they were suposed to be airtight as in comepletly sealled but the seams are overlapping and riveted so unless the put silicone in the joints ther is no way the are airtight, so what is the deal with calling them airtight?
            First of all, thanks for your comments.

I think the HD guy misled you. I've lost count of the misinformation that I've heard from both HD and Lowe's employees... generally I've learned to just ask where I can find this or that! Halo is not owned by HD, it's a brand produced by Cooper Industries. Commercial Electric seems to be a Home Depot house brand. I doubt if Home Depot manufactures anything - they most likely have a contract with someone to make the can lights for them. This is neither good nor bad. For example, Sears Craftsman hand tools and Sears Kenmore appliances aren't manufactured by Sears. No matter, really.... the quality defines the product, not the business arrangement.

As for the airtight business.... well, you are 100% right. These things are not really even close to "airtight". In the recessed lighting world, "airtight" just means that the manufacturer takes some nominal steps, including adding some (cheesy) stick-on gaskets to close up the major openings. This reduces the leakage of air from the living space into the attic space, but is in no way truly sealed. But it should help -that is, until the cheap gaskets get old, the glue dries out and they fall off. I'm not sure what the certification requirements are but I imagine that there is a test that the manufacturer has to pass to demonstrate that the leakage is below some level so that they can call the can "airtight". But yes, your obseration is dead on. You get the best results, in terms of saving energy, by using an airtight trim (also not actually sealed) along with your airtight can.

-Andy

Comment

Like most big companies, and not JUST the box stores, HD has house brands. Ferguson's has house brands. Wilmar has house brands. Grainger has house brands. Etc. Glacier Bay/Pegasue faucets are Globe Union Industrial Faucet Company, which also makes Danze, Gerber, and others. Hampton Bay stuff is Air Cool Industrial. Light Bulbs and fixtures are often Commercial Electric brand, but I don't know the name of the chinese company which makes them.

The one common denonminator is that parts support is slim. There is some warranty support, but little or no support from local suppliers, including HD.

Comment

All of the information has been great - thank you. But, my question is, where do you go for connectors and add-ons for the Commercial Electric brand track lighting? My HD only sells the track kits and all of the add-on stuff is Hampton Bay. Are they interchangeable? Any insight would be great!

Comment

I bought some of the 5" commercial electric can lights the other day, and ended up buying a 5" Halo trim because I wanted a BR30 bulb and the sales associate thought it would work. Of course when I got home, I realized that Halo trim just barely did not fit the commercial electric can, and of course that makes sense; I should have realized it immediately in the store.

Comment

A few months ago I noticed that the cartons (containing 6 housings) of the 5" Comm. Elect. can lights had the part numbers of Halo trims that fit printed right on the carton. I'm using one of those part numbers in my Comm Elect 5" IC airtite housings and it's working fine.

Comment

I've used commercial/halo cans and trims interchangeably for quite some time now as they were readily available at local HD...i say were because just this a.m. I went to purchase a few more for an ongoing reno and the shelves are now stocked with Lithonia brand. Even in the world of can lighting these were of extremely low quality,IMO, and so I passed. Tho the dept clerk mentioned these also are interchangeable w/ comm/halo i strongly doubt it based on the construction of the trims. so much for the old standby...
                      Last edited by Bldr; 12-07-2009, 12:51 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by metalmeltr View Post
                        There are just more 'airtight' than the non-airtight version! Which does make a difference if you are putting the fixture where the space above is unheated. And if you are doing that, just make sure that you use an IC rated housing if the attic space above has insulation which will touch any part of the recessed housing.

Comment

Working...
                        X