Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pushmatic Breakers - anybody heard of them?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pushmatic Breakers - anybody heard of them?

A friend of mine had central air conditioning installed in her house but needed someone to hook up the 240V wiring (that's where I come in). I stopped by and looked it over - York 2-1/2 ton Puron unit. Min. overcurrent protecton amps: 20A, Maximum circuit breaker: 30A. The compressor is 40 ft away from the load center so I plan to install a 30A breaker and use no 10 wire.

When I looked at the breaker panel, it was labeled Pushmatic Electri-Center. The breakers are Pushmatic brand which I have not heard of. I think they may be made by Siemens but am not sure.

According to some info on the web, a UBI Type P breaker is compatable but I need to find a source for the breaker. I'll call my local electric supply houses but just wondered if anyone here heard of Pushmatic breakers.

Re: Pushmatic Breakers - anybody heard of them?

I believe the push-matic breakers were called bulldog push-matic.Its been ahwile since i have seen one but if i recall either challenger or siemens started making a replacement breaker for those back in the late 80's early 90's. good luck with your search. Here is a link from home depot.Is this what it is? http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...7X-_-100163313

Comment

That is the style of breaker I'm looking for. My local HD didn't have them so I called a wholesale house this afternoon - they didn't have them either but there are plenty of on-line places that have them.

Comment

found some on e-bay too!! again good luck

Comment

Expect them to be a little pricey.

Comment

I installed a central A/C system for someone not too long ago and didn't include pricing for that breaker, luckily i knew the homeowner and had her go out and buy it. I ended up putting in a 60amp subpanel for the few new breakers and she had to get 60amp pushmatic breaker, ended up paying 60$ for it at a local electrical place. Found some online but she didn't want to wait. You can find the best prices i've found for them here - http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(5o...aspx?SKU=32650 Just for comparison, a regular 2pole breaker is usually 10$ or so... so these are quite a bit more.

Comment

Pushmatics are common, junk but common. Sound like a good job for a electrician.

Comment

The job is completed and passed inspection. I located a breaker at a local electrical supply house. I was worried I'd snap the breaker in two during installation. Wierd design compared to the Cutler Hammer and Square-D breakers I'm used to.
                Last edited by khe; 06-26-2009, 01:20 PM. Reason: add info.

Comment

Working...
                X