X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belt Driven Generator

Not sure which section to post this in but I'm looking for a belt driven generator that goes under the hood of a truck for a portable power source.

Any recommendations or links?

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Belt Driven Generator

I have a older one, but it is only about 1000 watts, not really sure I would want to part with it or not, even tho I have not used it for 30 years was only on a truck for about 2 years, and only used once, works well but you have to rev the engine up a lot to get the cycles correct,

my recommendation is a heavy duty (hi amp) alternator and a reasonable inverter, wired in, off the battery, there is no need to get the rpm correct or even for a short situation the truck running, and most electronic units only draw the power needed (very efficient for the most part), my son had one he used and found it satisfactory, if you need a lot of power ( a portable generator is probably the best bet).
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks BHD.

Might be a reason that you don't see them too much and inverters are easy to find.

J.C.

Comment

JC

About how much power do you need? What do you want to run?

I go along with BHD in regards to using a power inverter and you may as well pay some extra $$$ and get one that puts out a nice clean sine wave so you can run electronic devices off it.

If you want to run heavy duty power tools or more than one tool at the same time, then an engine-generator set is what you really need. Some large trucks have a PTO shaft where you can rig up a special generator. I'm going to assume you want to use it with a van or pickup in which case that's not an option.

Here is where an inverter can get you into some big trouble. Assuming a 12 Volt (nominal) electrical system on the vehicle if you wanted to run a 1200 Watt inverter at close to full load, you'll have a draw of over 100 Amperes. You'll need more than just a heavy alternator upgrade. Your wiring and Voltage regulator will need upgrading too. Running the truck engine for a long time burns up serious fuel. Then you'll want a second battery as well to be safe. All of this makes a good portable engine-generator look cheap.

BHD is correct about having to run the engine at the correct speed with any type generator. Most vehicles don't have an adjustable speed governor so now you have the issue of how to hold the proper engine speed.

Note: Most inverters rated to be able to run heavy duty power tools and such are normally setup for 24 Volts or higher input Voltage. This is OK for larger trucks and buses but not for a regular van or pickup. The higher input Voltage is to lower the current draw in Amperes. At say 2500 Watts a big 3000 Watt inverter will need about the full 3000 Watts input as they aren't 100% efficient and also have a cooling fan. This is where you can't have a 12 Volt input or the current draw goes through the roof.

Please give us a good idea of what you want to run and for how long.

blah blah blah ... Sorry about running on too much.
        Last edited by Woussko; 06-25-2009, 10:26 PM.

Comment

What I want to run??? Lots of things! Right angle drills, sectional machine, circular saw, drum machine, lights, computer etc.

I'm sure there are many options to run any one thing, even with higher amp draws. But what about running say-three things at once?

Darn you Woussko! Now you've got me thinking about external belt driven PTO's with rpm controls......AGAIN!

J.C.

Comment

JC

I know you like to support USA companies and especially the smaller quality type. With it in mind that you'll have quite a load, I really think you would be best served to get a good well made portable engine-generator set.

Feast yourself here: http://www.gillettegenerators.com/portable/mnport.html

Remember that the Honda GX series engine is the one of choice here.
            Unlike the Honda packaged ones, a Gillette with a Honda engine has a USA made far better generator end mounted to the engine.

GILLETTE GENERATORS, INC.
            1340 WADE DRIVE
            ELKHART, IN 46514-9488
            Sales: 1-800-777-9639

Now if you're somewhat like BHD and me, and you have a good engine, maybe one of these would interest you. You'll have loads of tuff engineering along with some GRUNT & GROAN work, but it's all grrreat once you get it perfected.
            http://www.gillettegenerators.com/beltkit/specs11.html

Or you could get a trailer and do one of these and really have some fun.
            www.emerson2-71gm.com/Gensets.html
            Last edited by Woussko; 06-25-2009, 11:25 PM.

Comment

JC, try this site

http://www.premierpowerwelder.com/re...readyweld.html

http://www.premierpowerwelder.com/ppw_about.html
              The Premier Power Welder's Control Box measures 4x4x9 inches. It contains the alternator's external regulator and has jacks for the welding leads as well as a 115-volt DC (maximum 2300 watts/20 amps) power outlet jack for non fluorescent lighting and brush-type power tools: grinders, drills, saws, and blenders, frying pans, blow driers, etc.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

jc. now you want play with my toys

original van i had an american made 1000 watt inverter. worked good for the 1/2'' machine, sawzall, lights, grinder.

big truck had room for the 2500 watt generator and this actually powers my coring machine for curbs and such.

my sprinter has a 2000 watt inverter with a second battery and a 200 amp alternator. won't do my coring machine, but has no problem with my k-60 or timberwolf.

a built in truck driven generator is very expensive and probably not worth it unless you need the power and don't have room for a portable generator.

the inverter it the least complicated way to go and requires very little to no maintenance. no noise or fumes

add up you power needs and list them in watts and or amps.

what are you running at once and for how long?

too much requires the generator.

i can give a link to the truck mounted alternators, but figure a good $3,000 for a decent unit.

a great portable generator will be under $1,500 and a less spendy one is $500.

an inverter will run under $500 with all the wires.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I have a Miller Trailblazer 302 mounted on my utility truck. Then again, I do some welding from time to time.
                  http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...ailblazer_302/

Comment

well I have a Lincon ranger on one of my trucks and can get 9000 watts out of it,
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Lincoln makes a nice unit as well. Seriously consider what your uses will be. If you just need to run a 300 pipe threader, a bandsaw, a grinder and a drop light then an integrated on board system will work for you. Something like the Premier alternator, a Xantrex inverter with remote, and a couple extra sealed batteries would be more than adequate. By the time your done with that setup look at $2k to $3k well done. I spent twice that but my needs are different. I need to power houses overnight for my customers, or pull utility 700 feet, or the occasional welding job. Just depends on your business.

Comment

Working...
                      X