"capping" a circuit....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "capping" a circuit....

I recently removed 2 wall lights from my living room (with attic access). The 2 lights were the end of the circuit they were on, and there are other devices before the lights so I still need the circuit to be live.

My question is whats the correct way to cap off the hot line that was feeding to the lights?

At quick glance I couldnt trace it back to another junction box, so it doesnt look like I could just remove it at a box.

My thought was to just get a junction box and cover and wire nut the leads (the box would be in the open in the attic......using a plastic box for a little added safety).

Not sure this is correct though, so I figured Id ask.

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

Re: "capping" a circuit....

sounds like a good fix to me. you would want to secure the j-box to a joist and for future help u may want to wright the circuit #on the j-box cover,so if you ever sell the house the new owner will know what it goes to.
    huck

Comment

Chris, if you like toys, you can shut the circuit off and get an inductive amplifier to trace it through whatever walls to the source so that you can disconnect it from there.

Comment

As long as the box is accessible your idea is good to go.
        info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

All junctions must be:
          1) In a box.
          2) Accessible.
          3) Covered.

Pretty basic. Accessible just means don't bury it in a wall. If a midget can get to it it's probably okay. Like the idea of labeling the box cover with some sort of circuit identification. I always try to do this. Never know when you'll be back.

Comment

Thanks guys!

Just went ahead and put the box in the attic (full access, its a "knee wall" sorta thing, with access behind it in the attic).....covered accessible and boxed.

Will run back up there and label the box now that I know what circuit breaker its on.

-Chris

Comment

spot on. terminate in covered and labeled box. you might want juice someday. maybe the next owners. breid

Comment

Working...
              X