X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In-line water heater wiring

I'm planning to remove my tank heater and install a tankless water heater. The current draw is 54 A @ 240v. I live in a condo and have electric baseboard heat. I understand that I would need to run new wires because currently my heater is sitting on a 240/20 circuit. I'm wondering if I will be allowed to install something like this.

Re: In-line water heater wiring

How big is the service? 100 amp? 200 amp?

Comment

Condo rules usually do not allow a homeowner to do this work.
      They require licensed tradesman to do this work.
      If you lived in a single family home, then you could do it.

Comment

54 amps is a fairly low amp rating for a tankless. How many bedroom/bathroom in the house? Many of the "small" tankless I have seen, capable of 2.4 gallons per minute on a good day, require 80 amp/240 VAC circuit/

Comment

It's not a do it yourself project get an electrician.

Comment

Originally posted by lovetheUSA View Post
            54 amps is a fairly low amp rating for a tankless. How many bedroom/bathroom in the house? Many of the "small" tankless I have seen, capable of 2.4 gallons per minute on a good day, require 80 amp/240 VAC circuit/

I have seen them as high as 120 amp. nothing for the faint hearted.

Comment

Course option B would be those 120 volt "insta-hot" plug in type water heater, say for a sink. I do not know how well they perform for a shower though. I put a couple in, each requiring a dedicated 20 amp circuit (to a 20 amp single outlet).

Comment

my question is why do you wish to do this? every customer that i have done cost studies on this for have taken a pass. the ones i put in are put in for some other reason. that's fine to. breid

Comment

An ELECTRIC tankless hot water heater is the last thing I would install anywhere. After all the threads dedicated to the downfalls of tankless water heaters in general, electric tankless water heaters are the worst of the lot. If you want to watch your lights flicker every time you turn on the hot water, risk a flood and or a fire, (I could post some pictures) then live dangerously. I'd keep the storage heater and put a timer on it if you want to save electricity.

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
                    An ELECTRIC tankless hot water heater is the last thing I would install anywhere. After all the threads dedicated to the downfalls of tankless water heaters in general, electric tankless water heaters are the worst of the lot. If you want to watch your lights flicker every time you turn on the hot water, risk a flood and or a fire, (I could post some pictures) then live dangerously. I'd keep the storage heater and put a timer on it if you want to save electricity.

I totally agree with this. I've been asked to put a number of these in and it's always ended with the customer returning the product. I sit down with the customer and explain the wiring and the reaction is always the same: amazement at the job scope, electricity bandwidth required, and the cost. They just aren't a viable alternative unless you're totally forced into it.

A better alternative (for electric tank style water heater) would be a timer in conjunction with solar hot water heat. By far this is the most efficient and best bang for your buck if you don't have natural gas or propane available.

Comment

Working...
                    X