Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing low voltage wire from room below

Hello experts,

I really need some help and guidance with a wire fishing project.

I am trying to run 2 low voltage wires (coax and cat 5) from a room into the room above it. The lower room has concrete slab under it (no basement). My first preference was to run the wires through an inside wall. But the inside wall is not in the same location between the 2 floors. So I am trying to do this through the insulated exterior wall. I have cut the drywall in the upper floor and drilled a 1" hole into the floor plate behind the dry wall. When I run the steel fishing tape, it goes under the floor rather than down the wall (I can hear the scraping sound in the ceiling of the lower room but not in the wall). I have tried to orient the tape different way but it is not helping.

How do I do this so that the steel fishing tape would do down straight and navigate a way for itself through the fiberglass insulation?

Many thanks for your guidance.

Unklez

Re: Fishing low voltage wire from room below

Is there a top plate in the downstairs wall?

For this kind of thing, I've used a long (like 48") flexible drill bit. These typically have holes in both ends so you can just attach a fish wire and pull it through the drilled hole. They're a bit pricey, but worth it if you have a few holes to fish.

Rare earth magnets can also be useful for guiding the end of the fish tape, though maybe not so much in this case.

The cleverest solution I've seen is a trained rat. Not practical unless you already have one.

Comment

When you drilled down from above, did you also drill through the top plate of the lower wall?

Once you get the fish tape in the wall, the insulation shouldn't be much of a problem. It needs to be a good quality tape that is stiff. Some are too flexy.

Not sure you need it for this application but they make fiberglass rods that work pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by tjc View Post
        Is there a top plate in the downstairs wall?

For this kind of thing, I've used a long (like 48") flexible drill bit. These typically have holes in both ends so you can just attach a fish wire and pull it through the drilled hole. They're a bit pricey, but worth it if you have a few holes to fish.

Rare earth magnets can also be useful for guiding the end of the fish tape, though maybe not so much in this case.

The cleverest solution I've seen is a trained rat. Not practical unless you already have one.
        Yes I'm guessing there is a top plate in the downstairs wall. The hole is about 1.75" inches deep and there is dark space below it. Not sure that that covers both plates or if the second plate still needs a hole. How far from the bottom plate would the top plate be? I have a 11" flexible bit extender and a 7" drill bit. I will continue to drill since this the most likely reason.

Don't have a rat. I did ask my 8 yr old son to go down the wall. He refused

Comment

Well, the top plate is most likely attached to the bottom of the floor joists, so however tall your joists are, that's how far down the top plate will be. Be sure to drill straight down, or you'll go through the ceiling instead.

Comment

Be sure to drill straight down, or you'll go through the ceiling instead.
            Or even worse, the outside of your house. I've drilled through an interior wall while fishing wire, but thankfully not exterior.

If you can swing the $50 for a flexible shaft drill bit, it is worth it if you are planning to do this for more than one room. Otherwise just gang up a couple of extensions and cut some drywall.

Comment

Well, the top plate is most likely attached to the bottom of the floor joists, so however tall your joists are, that's how far down the top plate will be. Be sure to drill straight down, or you'll go through the ceiling instead.
              Yea it was that plate. I used a 18" long drill bit - the flexible extender did not do it for me. I lost a drill bit in the wall - and managed to drill thru' without going out or in

Now for some drywall repair and I'm all set. Thanks a lot for the quick help.

Comment

Working...
              X