transformers (not the movie!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: transformers (not the movie!)

In order to keep the voltage at an acceptable level at the end of the 100' 16 gauge wire you can only run a maximum of 20W, even then you will have a 11.5% voltage drop at 100'. With a single 20W bulb you will expend 2.23 W in the wire and 17.7W in the bulb. If you keep the 50W transformers you could run 2 20W bulbs and be at a 40 W total draw including the wire drop and bulbs. You would need to run each bulb on its own 16 gauge wire and tie the two lights in parallel at the transformer, this limits the current draw in each line thereby limiting the voltage drop
    Last edited by wbrooks; 07-26-2009, 05:21 PM.

Comment

1. Your plan is a code violation any way you look at it.
      2. Hire an electrician.

Comment

here's a wireing diag of my setup. from start farthest bulb to transformer i would say around 50'.

a pic of the ceiling will be posted as soon as my daughter gives me back my camera!

thanks!
        Attached Files

Comment

H P

Please do hire a good electrician to do this for you. You need to understand that there is simply no way to power all 4 lamps with very undersized transformers and have things work. Also, it would make far more sense to do one wire run using 10-2 rather than 4 runs using 16-2. I'm sorry but you're only going to get yourself into trouble making this a DIY task.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
            H P

Please do hire a good electrician to do this for you. You need to understand that there is simply no way to power all 4 lamps with very undersized transformers and have things work. Also, it would make far more sense to do one wire run using 10-2 rather than 4 runs using 16-2. I'm sorry but you're only going to get yourself into trouble making this a DIY task.
            Well said. If you don't really know what you're doing, Get someone in there that does. That way, you won't be sorry in the long run.

http://www.mikecurrieelectric.com

Comment

I know I am late in here but as other guys they are right on the target with safety issue here.

Did you get that situation sloved ?

Merci,Marc

Comment

Working...
              X