X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1956 wall mount refrigerator

This refrigerator is awesome http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...a%3DN%26um%3D1

I want to keep it. I was told today it would cost about $70-$80 a month in electricity to run it. That's WAY TOO MUCH money for me to give to the power Co. just because I think it's so cool.

Today a friend put an amp meter on it and it was drawing 3.6 amps.
    Our power rates are 7.65ish per kwh (as far as I can tell. The crooks no longer send a paper bill. All info has to be obtained on-line and they make it very confusing)

So what do you think it would cost in electricity to run this refrigerator per month under normal use?
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Re: 1956 wall mount refrigerator

$23.80/month if it never shuts off.
    (3.6A*120V*24hours*30day)/1000=KWH in a month
    *0.0765 = $23.80

Comment

Just in case you want to keep it doesn't mean you have to actually use it. You could empty it out and really clean it up inside. Then be sure to leave the doors open some to air it out. It should be fine that way. I think in reality about $10 - $15 per month for electricity would be about it. If it runs non stop it needs service really bad.

You might get yourself a Kill-A-Watt meter that can log Watt Hours used. Plug that in and then the refrigerator into it and log how much it actually does use over 7 full days. That would give you some idea of how much electric power it really does use.

Comment

Anytime I have looked at any appliance that old, the internal wiring was all VERY brittle, so the reliability of that unit might not be so good. For sure, the efficiency was not very good, so for the same amount of cold storage, it will cost more than a new refrigerator.

It is WAY COOL! So I understand your wanting to keep it, if you have a wall for it!!

Comment

Originally posted by lovetheUSA View Post
          Anytime I have looked at any appliance that old, the internal wiring was all VERY brittle, so the reliability of that unit might not be so good. For sure, the efficiency was not very good, so for the same amount of cold storage, it will cost more than a new refrigerator.

It is WAY COOL! So I understand your wanting to keep it, if you have a wall for it!!

She's a NO GO.
          Tonight Candy and I were talking about it as she was leaning (with her left hand) on the stainless steel counter top. She reached up with her right hand, touched the refrigerator and . Bad ground or something??

She wants it GONE, so I guess it's gone.

Oh well, it's all about give and take, and she takes plenty more than I give so I can't complain.

Besides, I'm a grown man, why am I getting excited over a friggin' refrigerator?????
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

That would make a great beer cooler in the garage!
            info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

The older fridges did not have polarized plugs, could be as simple as replacing the cord set with a 3 prong and wiring properly.
              I second the beer fridge motion!

Comment

Working...
              X