X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sub panel questions

I am adding a sub panel in the attached garage. It is approximately 3' from the main panel. I was planning on just running a 3' pc of straight 1.25" EMT to connect the two. After checking on the knock outs on the main panel, there isn't one to use.

My plan B is this: (with conduit connecting the two elbows of course)

I plan to run four # 3 wires through (so If I upgrade to 200a service in the future I can change the breaker to 100 am without changing the wiring) it. I plan to purchase the two elbows and use a straight piece to connect them. There is a wall and door way inbetween the panels (the reason why they must be three feet apart.
    My specific questions are:

1. Since I have to drill a 1.75" hole in the studs for the conduit, is it ok to do so close to the sill 2x4?

2. Is it ok to drill that large of a hole into a 2x4? Do I need to reinforce it with anything? (about half the total width of the 2x4)

3. Any other / better suggestions? Any tips?

I am only running a 60 amp sub panel. I purchased a load center that I planned on switching the main breaker (100 a) to a 60amp. This center, the 100 amp breaker is not a standard breaker. I read somewhere that it is ok to use a 60a on the feeder in the main to the 100a in the box since it is basically just working as an on off switch and not required (like if I ran a main lug). Is this true? I like the panel and it matches the brand we currently have (Siemens). I was planning on returning a purchasing another, but if I can use this one I would rather.

Thank you in advance.

t

Re: sub panel questions

You cannot drill that large a hole in a load bearing wall. You are limited to 40% of the dimension where you are drilling.

Why not just use #2AL or #4cu SER cable? You can get away with a 1" hole in that case.

Yes, you can feed the panel with a 60 and have a 100A breaker in the sub-panel, but why??? Just use the main-lug panel you mentioned.
    If you insist on keeping the main breaker that is fine also.

Also remember to get yourself another ground bar and keep the grounds and neutrals separate.

Comment

I have no idea about local codes in IL, however, code enforcement in my area will tolerate a hole that big in a load bearing wall if a stud shoe is used to reinforce the weakened member. You may want to look into it if you only need to notch a few studs.

http://www.framingconnectors.com/product/249
      Last edited by jimboburnsy; 08-10-2009, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Thank you both for the replies. I did actually find and purchase some stud shoes as I only have three studs to go through. One is by itself, one is coupled with another stud (which I believe increases the size of the hole I can drill) and the other I am going to couple with another stud, since the bottom of the stud is pretty chewed up (they had to use the crappiest stud right there!)

My electrician friend did mention that it must be in conduit (county code)

I decided to play it safe and get the 60a breaker in the sub. He wasn't 100% sure that the inspector would like that and I didn't want to take the chance.

Thanks again

t

Comment

Originally posted by pneufab View Post
          Sorry. I didn't notice you were in Chicago. Your friend is totally right.

Comment

Originally posted by pneufab View Post
            Thank you both for the replies. I did actually find and purchase some stud shoes as I only have three studs to go through. One is by itself, one is coupled with another stud (which I believe increases the size of the hole I can drill) and the other I am going to couple with another stud, since the bottom of the stud is pretty chewed up (they had to use the crappiest stud right there!)

I decided to play it safe and get the 60a breaker in the sub. He wasn't 100% sure that the inspector would like that and I didn't want to take the chance.

Thanks again

t
            The 60a is the right way to go.

mike
            http://www.mikecurrieelectric.com

Comment

Working...
            X