X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crimp sleeves?

Just wondering what the professionals' thoughts are about using crimp sleeves on hot & neutral wires? If you use them on hots & neutrals, do you use tape around them, shrink tube, the liquid stuff or ?? Seems like they would be helpful in a tight box.

Thanks in advance for the comments!

Re: Crimp sleeves?

There is absolutely NO good reason to use crimp sleeves on anything but a ground. There are simply too many other better options available.

The main two being regular old wire nuts and "Wago" type connectors.

What you might save in space using crimps would be very negligible.

Comment

Crimp on connectors do not hold very good on solid wire. They do work great for stranded, but you don't normally use stranded wire in walls and such. Non insulated crimp connectors need to be taped well.
      info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Papadan, I think what Andy is talking about are these:

We use 'em to tie the grounds together in boxes with multiple wires or devices. They would never be used on ungrounded conductors......at least not by me.
        Attached Files

Comment

Actually they used to be used everywhere in some places. Before crimp style the wires were individually stripped an inch or two, the mating wire was wrapped several times around it, then soldered, then taped with friction tape. This was the method used in the knob and tube days. Then somebody came along with crimp sleeves and it was the next greatest thing is time savings and safety. I still see lots of these from the 40's and 50's era. After that came wire nuts, but at first they were ceramic and were expensive and broke so were unpopular. When the plastic ones came along they were the next greatest thing in time savings and safety.....

So it's really just an evolution in the technology. Just because a tool is old doesn't mean you should throw it away. I'll still use crimp sleeves where I have to. Like a box with a tiny stub of wire that's stranded where I can't get a wire nut or a Wago on there but can tape it.

Here's what I normally use:
          -Crimp sleeves on grounds to save space in the box.
          -Wago everywhere there's solid 12 and 14.
          -Wire nuts on 10 and 8.
          -Splice blocks on 6 and up.
          -Wire nuts on stranded where Wago won't work.

So I really like the Wago connectors. Haven't had any trouble with them. But you'll still find several sizes of copper crimp sleeves in my boxes that see regular use, and a toolbox with a soldering iron too....

Comment

>> "Actually they used to be used everywhere in some places. "

My house is an example of that. It was built in 1968 and it was entirely done with crimps on every wire - hots, neutrals and grounds. I saw on another forum that some electricians use 'em, some don't... but apparently they're code-approved just like wirenuts. Hence my question to this group.

I have to say that I do think crimps are smaller than either wirenuts or wagos. I used to replace the crimps with wirenuts every time I went in a box for any reason, but sometimes it got very cramped in the box - and I really dislike having to jam stuff in the box. So I started using crimps myself on safety grounds.

For space reasons, I stopped replacing the crimps on non-grounds. I do remove the tape, which is always falling off anyway, and replace it with heat shrink tube where possible. I did have a case (in 12 years that I've owned the place) where the tape failed and a black wire shorted to ground. No problems so far with the shrink tube, though. Shrink tube would have to do better than tape, no? Or are these things a disaster waiting to happen??

Comment

These are pre-insulated crimp on connectors made by Ideal-Buchanan. They take up less room in the box than a wire nut and are less work than an uninsulated crimp sleeve that you have to tape or use shrink tubing on.....if you're he11 bent on using crimp on connectors.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
                ............They take up less room in the box than a wire nut and are less work than an uninsulated crimp sleeve that you have to tape or use shrink tubing on.....if you're he11 bent on using crimp on connectors.
                Exactly, if you are determined to use crimps.

Once again, WHY bother. If those crimps (which are barely smaller than wire nuts) make a difference in space the boxes you are using are too small.

Comment

I agree. I wonder if the house was built in 1968 if they used 18 cubic inch metal boxes. Not a lot of room in them for a device and a couple of splices.

Comment

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the comments. It does look like the insulated crips are not a lot smaller than wire nuts.

I'm not really bound and determined to use the darned things... and would prefer not to (except for safety grounds). Except "maybe" in exceptional cases where the options are not too good. And you've gotten me convinced to work pretty hard to do something else to avoid them.

The house has phenolic boxes. I'm not sure about the volume. They're tight though.

The biggest problem is that the house has several "shared neutral" ciruits. So a 12-3 w/ground will come in to a box, the switch or oulet will use the black and white, while the red and white has to be connected up to a 12-2 w/ground and goes off to some other area. This is a real pain for lots of reasons. But it adds quite a few connections and extra romex in some of the boxes (almost all single-gang) and that's why they get so tight.

I would really like to ditch all the shared neutral crap. But access in the attic is very difficult. I'm kicking myself for not rewiring everything when the roof was off for replacement. Would have been so easy!

Thanks again for the comments. Very useful.

-Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Speedy Petey View Post
                      There is absolutely NO good reason to use crimp sleeves on anything but a ground. There are simply too many other better options available.

The main two being regular old wire nuts and "Wago" type connectors.

What you might save in space using crimps would be very negligible.
                      I agree with this

http://www.mikecurrieelectric.com

Comment

Working...
                      X