X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp question: Gas Dryer & Frig

Can I run a gas dryer and a fridge on a 20A 12/2 circuit at the same time? The circuit has only two outlets and I'd like to use one for a gas dryer and the other for the frig. Whatta ya think?

Re: Amp question: Gas Dryer & Frig

by rights the fridge and the washer/ dryer should have a dedicated circuit.

will it work on 1- 20 amp circuit

when it trips, you'll be going to the market to buy new frozen food in wet clothes

a gas dryer is 1/2h.p motor and the fridge/ freezer is a compressor. during start up it will draw high amps and if the dryer is running under load, it could trip.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Look at the amperage draw for the refrigerator on the nomenclature plate. If it's a self defrosting model the element could draw a 1000W. With the compressor running during the defrost cycle, it could be drawing over 11 amps. A 1/2 HP dryer motor, depending upon the efficiency of the motor could draw something around 6.5 amps. Neither of these appliance are considered continuous loads (running for three hours straight) but, worst case scenario the two appliances together would be drawing over 17 amps. I would seperate them.

Comment

Certainly separate them if you can, but I see no real issue with them being together, other than some potential code issues. Unless of course you are talking about some huge Sub_Zero type refer.

I think the losing your food issue is a bit much. I think this is something you would notice LONG before it became a problem. This is not to say I think it would happen, which I don't.

Comment

I have to agree, as a quick fix, a gas dryer on the same appliance circuit with a refrigerator, really shouldn't be a problem. How often really, would both the gas dryer and the fridge be on at the same time, and even if the dryer was on when the fridge kicks in, say at night, the inrush current will not be THAT big of an issue, even factoring in the occasional defroster.

Think about it, we have number 12 guage wire, which is rated at 25 amps, fused at 20 amps, and at most loaded at 17 amps (Some one calculated earlier), and it's very highly doubtful we are going to run into "continuous duty issues, it's fine. Besides, that breaker will trip before that wire melts anyway.

Is it ideal that the dryer have it's own circuit? Well yes, even if it is just a dedicated 15 amp circuit, however, this isn't a commercial grade dryer here.

Though I must ask, being a gas dryer, there WILL be proper venting and CO detectors available right?

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll add a separate circuit. No biggie since its in the basement. I'll just need to use a tandem breaker, thats all...

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
              Though I must ask, being a gas dryer, there WILL be proper venting and CO detectors available right?

Hi tailgunner, your reply posted as I was typing my previous response. After reading your post, I may just leave as is. As for your quote above, I'm doing a finished basement. No co2 detector. The only one who would be down there is my mother in law, and well, you know how that goes...

Comment

Working...
              X