X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on drills.

I am a commercial electrician and just under a week ago my hammer drill from my 5 piece ridgid set walked off site (Who ever took it left the charger and both batteries).
    Regardless, I do need to replace the drill I just don't need a hammer drill. I was thinking of getting the auto-shift or the compact that way I will have 4 batteries 2 larger and 2 smaller. Anyway just wondering if any other sparkies had any thoughts/recomendations. I know the hammer drill has a full metal chuck but the lighter drills don't and wondering how those have held up in real world situations.

Re: Thoughts on drills.

I don't care for the autoshift drill. I want to control the speed and torque of the drill, not leave it up to some parameter in the drills' programming. I personally prefer a drill with a metal chuck since it seems to tighten the drill bits better. My tools are mostly Millwaukee or DeWalt so I don't know if Ridgid offers a metal chuck in a non-hammer drill like DeWalt does. I agree with you about the hammer drill. Rarely do I drill a hole less than a 1/4", about what I consider the limit for a battery operated drill. A corded Hilti has never let me down.

Comment

Did you recently move from Utah? We had another member with a similar handle who has not been heard from in a while.

BOT: Can't offer anything constructive on the Autoshift drill, never used one, but I do prefer the all metal chucks in most cases.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I went searching and the auto shift isn`t that good for us. I have killed 2 dewalt drills so far, the last one lasted all of 6 months. I know I am hard on my tools but thats kinda sad. Going to home depot tommorrow with 400 bucks and high hopes for something decent. My boss took responsability for it being on his site and gave me 250 to replace it.

Comment

We are a contractor and have owned and used and abused three of the Lithium Ion compact drills http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R86006-C...N/index.htmfor the last two years and they have performed very well. We are tough on our stuff. We do alot of rehab on older houses and the drills have performed in rain, snow, all kinds of concrete, plaster and rot debris. They are used in extremes of hot and cold. In addition to being tough, they have great balance, flawless trigger control, and a very usable light. The chuck holds well even with very small bits. We have not experianced a failure yet. This drill has become my personal favorite. Try it, I think you will like it....Ray

Comment

I have one of the new DeWalt hammer drills with the lithium-ion battery packs and the metal chuck is not really a blessing. With particularly heavy drilling or using a large hole cutter the chuck will jam and I need to use channel lock pliers to loosen it. Happened to me yesterday after I used it to cut a 6-1/4" hole through 1-1/8" OSB with one of the new Blue Boar TCT hole cutters.

The drill had no problem making the hole but the chuck locked up and out came the pliers. I have started putting a pair in the drill case so I have them handy when needed.

The Milwaukee M18 drill we also use has a chuck with a plastic exterior but it holds bits well, even small drill bits, and it never jams. But the recharge time for the Milwaukee batteries is more than double that of the DeWalt which averages under 20 minutes.

I was letting another worker use the M18 and he was cutting a couple of 2" holes in subflooring with a new Lenox hole saw and after the two hole the battery needed to be recharged and it took more than 30 minutes to get it fully charged. I lent him one of my Blue Boar TCT hole cutters and the holes were cut in 1/10 the time and the demand on the battery was a whole lot less. With cordless tools the drill bit or hole cutter choice is a lot more important than it is with corded drills.

With the DeWalt I can carry only two battery packs as the recharge time is so short. With the Milwaukee by itself I would want to have at least 3 spare battery packs available.

I would avoid the Hitachi cordless as their chucks tend to slip with drill bits and the drills put out a lot less usable torque than either the Milwaukee or the DeWalt lithium-ion powered drills and when the overload they just stop and you have to wait for them to cool which can happen multiple times on the same hole.

Comment

I have one of the new DeWalt hammer drills with the lithium-ion battery packs and the metal chuck is not really a blessing. With particularly heavy drilling or using a large hole cutter the chuck will jam and I need to use channel lock pliers to loosen it. Happened to me yesterday after I used it to cut a 6-1/4" hole through 1-1/8" OSB with one of the new Blue Boar TCT hole cutters.

The drill had no problem making the hole but the chuck locked up and out came the pliers. I have started putting a pair in the drill case so I have them handy when needed.

The Milwaukee M18 drill we also use has a metal chuck by as with every other Milwaukee drill I have owned with a keyless chuck it never jams. The Milwaukee chucks hold even small round twist drill shanks without slipping and yet releases easily. But the recharge time for the Milwaukee batteries is more than double that of the DeWalt which averages under 20 minutes.

I was letting another worker use the M18 and he was cutting a couple of 2" holes in subflooring with a new Lenox hole saw and after the two hole the battery needed to be recharged and it took more than 30 minutes to get it fully charged. I lent him one of my Blue Boar TCT hole cutters and the holes were cut in 1/10 the time and the demand on the battery was a whole lot less. With cordless tools the drill bit or hole cutter choice is a lot more important than it is with corded drills.

With the DeWalt I can carry only two battery packs as the recharge time is so short and having 3-speed ranges the battery life is better. With the Milwaukee by itself I would want to have at least 2 spare battery packs available.

I would avoid the Hitachi cordless as their chucks tend to slip with drill bits and the drills put out a lot less usable torque than either the Milwaukee or the DeWalt lithium-ion powered drills and when the overload they just stop and you have to wait for them to cool which can happen multiple times on the same hole.

Comment

I have used Makita's for years and my 12 volt unit died two months ago. I was looking to step up to an 18 volt LI model. I tested Milwaukee, DeWalt, Ridgid, Makita, Hitachi, and HILTI. The HILTI was by far the most impressive in bench tests so I bought it. WOW. After a 2 months of hard use, I have not looked back. I would not hesitate to recommend the HILTI. It costs a little more, but the performance is superior. Battery life is excellant.

Comment

Working...
                X