X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dimming lights

I go with the loose neutral also.
    Don't play around, call the poco.
    Modern electronics do not like overvoltages very much!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
      Sounds like a loose neutral.
      Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
      I don't usually post on this section but the same thing happened to my house a few years back, loose neutral at the weatherhead! Serious problem, call your power co fast. Better safe than sorry.
      Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
      Yeah, a loose neutral, the main breaker going bad, or worse. I have to ask, is your service above or below ground?
      Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
      I was told by the Power Linemen that if the neutral fell completely off, I could fry a lot of things in the house, over 400volts comming in, sound right?
      If so, too bad we can't get a message to him!
      Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
      A bad breaker will not cause over voltage. I say loose neutral as well, I have seen this a few times now
      Originally posted by cactusman View Post
      I agree it sounds like you have a loose neutral. This may likely be behind the meter in its socket. Do you have aluminum wiring? If you do then make sure you have the connection nolaxed upon repair.

In Phoenix metro the power company will verify the loose neutral, but you require a licensed electrician to replace the worn meter socket and insert the wires. You may even need a building permit!

The work behind the meter is cramped and DANGEROUS you really need to have experience and know the correct safety measures....there is 240VAC always hot in there!!!!!!!

Cactus Man
      Originally posted by jbfan View Post
      I go with the loose neutral also.
      Don't play around, call the poco.
      Modern electronics do not like overvoltages very much!!!!!!!!!
      well just after my last post we called the power co and they said shut off the main breaker and they were sending some one out
      when they got here they pulled the meter and put a load test on the wire coming from the pole and he said its not right so up he went to the splice at the roof
      there he found a bare neutral wire with a temporary splice on all three wires .
      it has bin that way for over 20yrs before i had the house . the tape fell off and thats when the problems started
      with in 1/2 hr he had it all done the right way and the lights were back on

thanks for all the reply's you were all right on this one
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
        well just after my last post we called the power co and they said shut off the main breaker and they were sending some one out
        when they got here they pulled the meter and put a load test on the wire coming from the pole and he said its not right so up he went to the splice at the roof
        there he found a bare neutral wire with a temporary splice on all three wires .
        it has bin that way for over 20yrs before i had the house . the tape fell off and thats when the problems started
        with in 1/2 hr he had it all done the right way and the lights were back on

thanks for all the reply's you were all right on this one
        That does not suprise me in the least. The various power companies around where I live are notorious for not even bothering to roll to a service upgrade / replacement to swap out the taps. My employer used to use "insul-eaters" for safety reasons since they did not require the insulation to be stripped off, but we always had too many problems with them, mainly the conductors slipping right out. So, we just said "**** it" and used the old method of using bolted clamps, stripped wires (Live off the transformer), and rubber + vinal tape. Wearing proper PPE such as rubber gloves rated at 5KV of course while doing it.

It pays to have a buddy who works in a testing lab for a power company. He gave us the gloves, and tests them every year for us. So our stuff is always signed and stamped legit.

Comment

Working...
        X