Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• un_BX a BX?

Hi All,

I have a length of 3/3 BX wire that I was hoping to use as a feeder wire to a sub-panel I'm working on. It's kinda big for my need but the price was fantastic. However, the metal shield is pretty hard to get through some of the tight turns I need to go through so I am looking at this scenario:

The wire is about 25 feet long, I would like to remove about 4 feet of the metal shield at both ends and then run the individual wires from those points to the main panel and the sub on the other end. The 4 foot lengths of wire (now without the armor around them) would run through PVC conduits.

Does anybody know if there are any issues with electrical safety with this approach?

Thanks.
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Re: un_BX a BX?

You absolutely cannot do what you propose.
    1) You cannot strip out the cable and use the conductors in conduit.
    2) The sheathing of AC/BX cable is the ground. You would have no ground if you did what you suggest.

If you have AC cable why are you even using conduit???

Comment

Originally posted by Speedy Petey View Post
      You absolutely cannot do what you propose.
      1) You cannot strip out the cable and use the conductors in conduit.
      2) The sheathing of AC/BX cable is the ground. You would have no ground if you did what you suggest.

If you have AC cable why are you even using conduit???
      Because he was sold a bridge for cheap.

Comment

Yeah, but he wants to re-build the bridge inside a tunnel.

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
          Because he was sold a bridge for cheap.
          Indeed, $0.00 is really cheap. Local retail is over $500 so I'm not gonna complain.

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
          Speedy Petey
          Yeah, but he wants to re-build the bridge inside a tunnel.
          I thought I explained my scenario.
          Thank you for the effort though.

Oh, I called my inspector and he said that I can. Only that I need to use EMT, not PVC.

Comment

Ok fine, EMT it is then.

However, just remember to run a ground wire as well in that conduit.

Comment

I wasn't planning on removing the ground wire that comes with 3/3. I kinda thought it's a given.

Comment

Wait, you sure this is BX and not MC?

Comment

Originally posted by darius View Post
                  I wasn't planning on removing the ground wire that comes with 3/3. I kinda thought it's a given.
                  BX does not have a "ground wire". The sheath is the ground, plus a thin bond tracer that does not get terminated anywhere.

I'll also ask, do you have BX or MC????

Comment

I'll also repeat my other question:
                    WHY conduit at all?

Comment

I can't figure this one out. If you do have BX then why not use proper connectors and just bend the BX as needed? Is it that it's too hard to bend it or maybe you need some sharp 90 degree bends???

If it's not too much trouble please post a few pictures. You may need BX connectors and a "gondola" or two so you can make a hard bend. Could you make use of a wire pulling box?

By the way it's a good idea to run a ground wire (#4 copper) to be safe and to know you have a good ground connection.

Comment

OK, I may be lost in the terminology.
                        There are 4 wires - white, red, black and bare copper. All of them are wrapped in gray paper thingie and all that in a metal, twisty shield

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                          If it's not too much trouble please post a few pictures.
                          Yes, I'll save a couple thousand words. The OD of the cable is 1.14" or so. Pictures below.

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                          You may need BX connectors and a "gondola" or two so you can make a hard bend. Could you make use of a wire pulling box?
                          Not sure about the "gondola" as the last time I checked it was carrying me in Venice Not sure what the two suggestions mean.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I JUST noticed. You are in Canada. We do not have that type of BX cable down here.

Comment

Ha!
                              Therein lies the problem with communication.

I appreciate all the answers anyway.
                              Thanks you.

Comment

Working...
                              X