X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How safe is this?

every year,I do a big christmas display on my house. I am always on the lookout on making my display easy to set up. I came across this here: http://www.lightup.ca/buildcords.htm and was wondering if I should even attempt to do this?

My big plan is to have my electrician come out and run outlets all arounf my house(one on each tree and around my fence).

Re: How safe is this?

Sounds a bit dangerous to me. Way too much potential for things to go wrong. Do you realize that you could only power 120 5 watt bulbs on each cord or 240 for both circuits? It sounds like his application is for a light board with many channels so 100 lights per channel would be lots.
    Have you looked into LED lights? You can strand together 10 strings (about 350 feet) and you are only into 480 watts on 700 lights. I have 7 strings and that does 1/2 the roof line of my house (the part visible to the road). To feed the lights I use a socket that screws into a light bulb

Comment

this guy is retarded. Water would easily enter the gap between 2 round conductors where the heatshrink is, and then one day you grab the cable with a bit of frost on it - kaboom.

Comment

Anytime someone starts a post with "How safe is this?", he usually knows the answer.

Comment

I look at OP's link about the christmas cord set up and for myself it is not the best idea to modied the cord like that and what will happend if something catch on fire or someone get hurt from this the insurance companie may not pay for this kind of set up.

Best do it safe manner with proper cords set up and do not overload the circuits.

Merci.
          Marc

Comment

Working...
          X