Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Protecting Wiring and Subpanel

Hey everyone,

I'm adding a subpanel in my garage with the help of a friend who's done many of them.

The question I have concerns how I should protect the panel and wiring around it from nails and screws that someone may try to put in the wall.

To explain the setup, the picture you see of the subpanel is from inside the laundry room. The other side of that wall is my garage.

There is some existing wiring that is running between the panel and the garage's drywall that needs to be protected. Of course I have nail plates that will be installed on the studs, but I need to protect between the studs as well. My buddy suggested a sheet metal plate, which I agree with, but I need to know if code has something to say about it (e.g. thickness, area, etc.).

Any help is appreciated!

Helder
    Attached Files

Re: Question about Protecting Wiring and Subpanel

There is not a code requirement to protect the wire from the other side of the drywall.
    Are you going to remove the drywall and put in the metal, then replace the drywall?
    As long as you know it is there, don't nail into the drywall.

Comment

Originally posted by jbfan View Post
      There is not a code requirement to protect the wire from the other side of the drywall.
      Are you going to remove the drywall and put in the metal, then replace the drywall?
      As long as you know it is there, don't nail into the drywall.
      Seems pretty reasonable. Since this is in the garage and the panel itself doesn't seem to be a huge aesthetic concern, you could always mark the position of the wiring with tape or paint after you close the wall or you could just tape a printout of the picture you attached to your post to the inside door of the sub-panel.

Comment

Well, first the grounds are pretty interesting, how they're layed out in the panel Second, the wires coming down the 2x4, since there seems to be quite a few, i think you are too close to the edge if you nailed them side by side, or too many under a staple. They make things called "Stack-its" which is usually a red or white piece of plastic that is like a fork, and you can fit a few wires in each grove. Usually nails to the 2x4. Keeps them off the 2x4 and a bit further in the bay. Home depot or Lowes usually has them. Short of that, you can install a piece of 2x4 or some scrap piece of wood across the bay with the flat side against the sheetrock, and staple the wires on that in the center of the bay. Maybe put a few pieces of nail plate on the backside before screwing it in, on this side so you can't nail into it from the bakside.

Comment

Guys,

Thanks for all your responses so far.

jbfan, I'm surprised the code doesn't call for protecting the panel from both sides of an occupied room. The main reason I'm thinking to do this is to ease my mind that in case I sell the place, the next guy doesn't decide to nail or screw something right on the backside of the panel.

And yes, my idea is to remove the drywall on the backside, add a metal panel, then replace the drywall. I will probably remove the drywall anyway, because I will likely spray foam insulate the entire garage.

Badabing, I recently saw those plastic Stack-Its somewhere and thought I should get some for this project. I'll look into getting some.

I think I'll call or visit my town inspector and see what he wants done.

Any other comments or ideas?

Thanks again,

Helder

Comment

Working...
          X