Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiring a 120v outlet from a 240 line

Hi-
    I'm hoping for some advice. I recently installed a built in oven with a gas drop in range on top of it. The oven is 240v requiring a 30 amp circuit (hard wired in a junction box) and the range is 120v needing a 15 amp circuit (it has a grounded plug). I'm planning on running a new circuit for the oven using 10-3 NM with a 30 amp double breaker and install and old work box in the wall to wire it. Now my question, Can I just run a some 10-2 nm from 1 hot wire, the neutral and ground from the 240 line up to a second old work box for the outlet or do I need to run a new circuit for the 120v outlet? All this work will be done in an adjacent cabinet.

Re: wiring a 120v outlet from a 240 line

And a follow up, will there be any issue using a 15 or 20 amp duplex plug (for the range) on the circuit? Should I install a 120v 30amp outlet and use an adadter to go form the 30amp outlet to the 15amp plug
    Last edited by npage148; 11-06-2009, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by npage148 View Post
      And a follow up, will there be any issue using a 15 or 20 amp duplex plug (for the range) on the circuit? Should I install a 120v 30amp outlet and use an adadter to go form the 30amp outlet to the 15amp plug
      I'll let a real sparky give you the really good advice, but outlets and appliances that are undersized to the wiring and breaker can be a very big problem. As long as all of the guts of the range are without defect and in prime operating condition (I'm assuming this is power for the clock/timer/ignition sparker) there shouldn't be any problem with functionality. The range will work just the same on 120V power run through #10 wire hooked to a 30A breaker as it would on #14 wire hooked to a 15A breaker under normal conditions, but that creates a potentially disastrous safety issue if there are abnormal conditions in the range's guts. I have never tested a 15A outlet or a 20A outlet to see how much current it takes to get it hot enough to touch off a fire (or, for that matter, the little #18 stranded wires that are almost certainly inside the range), but I wouldn't want to assume that it was more than 30A, either. It seems like a pretty remote possibility that you would ever be unlucky enough to have a real problem, but electrical codes and procedures are written in the blood of those who get bitten by remote chances.

If it were my house and I had the space in the panel I would be inclined to go ahead and run a new 15A circuit anyway. I would run #12 to a conveniently located junction box and #14 to the outlet for the range. If you need to add to it in the future it's a snap.

Another possibility would be to simply piggyback the outlet for the range off of something nearby. I doubt that the range demands enough power to cause problems unless you are grossly overloaded to begin with.
      Last edited by jimboburnsy; 11-06-2009, 04:05 PM.

Comment

I figured I'd have to run another circuit for the plug. The house is old (all 2 prong, with ungrounded boxes) with iffy wiring so I'm not a fan of cutting into existing circuits. I'll just run a new one. Since it's going to the same place as the oven it won't be anymore work.
        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by npage148 View Post
          I figured I'd have to run another circuit for the plug. The house is old (all 2 prong, with ungrounded boxes) with iffy wiring so I'm not a fan of cutting into existing circuits. I'll just run a new one. Since it's going to the same place as the oven it won't be anymore work.
          Thanks
          I seriously doubt you would ever be sorry that you ran a new circuit...

Probably the best solution and it gives you the option to upgrade some other small appliance circuits in the kitchen with minimal effort.

Comment

Working...
          X