Loss of power to several breakers.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loss of power to several breakers.

A good friend called me with a trouble shooting problem in his home. I am not a electrician but have done a lot of wiring.

A little history on the home. Home is a 1920's Bungalow that originally had knob and tube. About 8 years ago home was completely rewired with Rolmex with all knob and tube removed. 3 years ago a new 200 amp service panel was installed.

Symptoms:

Friend called and said that his garage, dryer, furnace (gas) basement lights and range did not work. At first I thought maybe some wire nuts had come loose but with this many breakers being affected I think not. I had him check to see if all the affected breakers were all on one side of the panel and they are not. The only thing I can think of is either a loose neutral or ground lug. Your ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Charles
    Charles

Re: Loss of power to several breakers.

Is there by any chance theres a sub panel somewhere else.

Comment

possiable lost neutral. If you have the skill and know how. Check the whole panel with a meter. This will give you more info. Also look for pitted busses. Doesn't seem likely but since you have the panel open go a head and check. I would also check all of the effective devices for voltage readings.
      Good luck and post backwith the results

Comment

I would check the breakers under the meter...sounds to me like he has lost one leg.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Keep the ideas coming.

There are no sub panels any longer since the rewire.

He did tell me that his range heats up real slow and not very hot. Also for some reason when the range is turned on now the light he has on the counter goes on and is real weak.

I told him to turn off the main and then tighten all the screws. If I have time I told him I would bring my meter over and check the voltage on each leg.

I will let you know what we find out. He is a poor Realtor (3 sales last year) and money is real tight for him.

Charles
          Charles

Comment

Originally posted by IamVince View Post
            I would check the breakers under the meter...sounds to me like he has lost one leg.
            I agree. Had the same thing a few years ago. One line had come apart at the connection on the power pole. Check to see if both lines are hot where they enter the panel box.

Comment

That was one idea I had but would you still have power to other breakers on that leg? Maybe a voltage test would be best. We have had a few windstorms recently.

Thanks
              Charles
              Charles

Comment

He has lost a hot leg. When he turns on the stove he is feeding the lost leg via the burner on the stove.

Comment

Originally posted by IamVince View Post
                  i agree with this one.... check at the main lugs to make sure you have 240v between phases and then check each phase to neutral. (120v) if everything is ok with that, i would check the load side of the breakers to make sure you have 120v to neutral on each that feed whatever he lost power to. respond with what you find out!!

Comment

Lost a hot leg, either from meter to panel, or from transformer to meter.

Check the top of the main breaker for voltage. If not present, call the power company,

Comment

Lot one leg.
                      I had this happen in a rental unit years ago (with a blown cartridge fuse on one leg).

Comment

Thanks for th idea's. I am waiting for him to call me. The local utility company said they would stop by this evening and check from the pole to the drop down. He also called the local electrician that put the panel in and I guess he is also suppose to come by.

Charles
                        Charles

Comment

I was halfway through changing a cistern pump (240)when the home owner starts telling me about all the other stuff that had stopped working.Ok ...I stop what I'm doing and make a few checks,yep bad breaker at the pole.So I hook her pump back up and changed out the breaker.
                          Yes I know ....the dreaded handyman but at least I knew what was going on.(many years ago)

Comment

Well I found out what happened tonight. My friend is one ticked off guy. When he had a all new 200 amp panel put in the local utility made him move the meter to the front of his home, replace old mast/weather head with a new one before they would do it. My friend paid the electrician to take out the permits and do the work. (The permits were taken out, he has checked) Apparently what happened is when the electrician attached the male flange to the meter base and attached the pipe for the weather head he did not seal the pipe with anything (pipe dope or tape). Just screwed it in to the male flange. So over the last three years or so rain would run down the pipe hit the flange and leak into the meter base. This corroded the meter plug. (not sure what you call it) When the new electrician went to get a new plug it had been discontinued and he had to have a new meter base installed ($240 just for the complete new base). All said it was over $700 to put a new one in. He is trying to go through his records to see who he had it done by. To bad it wasn't just a loose wire at the pole.

Thanks for all of your help.
                            Charles

Comment

Anytime you have a problem like blinking lights or substantial parts of your home are without power I would call the power company 1st. If you've lost a neutral or a hotleg they will fix it if it is on their side or let you know that you need an electrician. And the best part is, they're free (at least the company that I worked for was), even if it's the customer's problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X