Need help with breaker selection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with breaker selection

Hi. I just installed a 240volt 4000 watt 16.7 amp electric wall heater. I ran 10-2, as there are only 2 wires coming from heater plus ground. No neutral?? I hooked it up to a tandem 20amp breaker (2 20amp breakers connected). and ground wire to ground bar in panel. its working.. am i all set? just wasnt sure what breaker to use. also, its a 40 foot run.

Re: Need help with breaker selection

220 has no neutral. Just two hots and a ground.
    You need a 20 amp two pole breaker.

I'm pretty sure 10.2 wire will suffice for the 40 foot run if your breaker is a 20 amp two pole one. I not sure what you mean by 2 20amp breakers connected. if that is in fact a 40 amp breaker then the wire is not sufficient.

(I'm not an electrician)
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

Re: Need help with breaker selection

Originally posted by copecat View Post
      Hi. I just installed a 240volt 4000 watt 16.7 amp electric wall heater. I ran 10-2, as there are only 2 wires coming from heater plus ground. No neutral?? I hooked it up to a tandem 20amp breaker (2 20amp breakers connected). and ground wire to ground bar in panel. its working.. am i all set? just wasnt sure what breaker to use. also, its a 40 foot run.
      Yes, 10/2 w/g would be appropriate for this circuit, however you need a two-pole 30A breaker, not 20A.

Electric heat must be figured at 125% so you are over 20A with this number.

Now, you say "tandem" breaker? You need to make sure this is an actual two-pole breaker. A tandem suggests two single-pole breakers in one. Also called twin or skinny breakers. These are not the same as a two-pole and will NOT work.

Comment

Working...
      X