Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Light and ceiling fan: why would all wires be hot when the wall light switch off Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Light and ceiling fan: why would all wires be hot when the wall light switch off

I like Hunter much better for ceiling fans. They just seem to go together much better and rarely need the balance kit that is supplied. Even though they have succumbed and are made overseas now, their quality seems to have remained decent as compared to the store brands (Hampton Bay).

Comment

Re: Light and ceiling fan: why would all wires be hot when the wall light switch off

Me, I would rewire but at the least, tie all your neutrals together and then install a new push button switch for your L1's and a new wall plate to fit your new switch. If aluminum wire, you need to put some blue cream on the connections to the switch terminals so the aluminum will not corode the unlike metals. These push buttons look nice and are easy to wire up.

Obviously, you have to know how existing wires are wired up so you wont have a short and every thing works. Best done by a licensed electrician based on local code, your electrical knowledge, and available funds.

Comment

If this is beyond your skill level you would be wise to hire. This is a fairly messy box. If A is the switch for your light it must go to another box before it goes to your ceiling box since it is 3 wire at the switches and only two wire in the ceiling. Power is either fed from that intermediate box via the diagram red wire or power is being fed to that intermediate box via line 2. Line 3 is a hazard, it has power going somewhere with no neutral. Make sure you check line 4 for live wires

Comment

Update: Not only did the fans have bad remote receivers but the one fan (the one I first installed) had bad internal wiring. I only found this out since I tested the 2nd fan (it worked) and then installed it in the ceiling, bypassing the remote receiver (the lights and fan worked). Be careful if you buy a Caswyck Hampton Bay 54" fan (or maybe any Hampton Bay fan). Not only were there problems as mentioned above but the one box didn't even have the 100w halogen bulb in it and the other that did have the 100w bulb in it was obviously used before (this same fan looked like parts had previously been installed). I can't imagine I was that unlucky - it has to be poor QC overall.

The re-wiring of the box (and where that leads) is beyond me - I will get an electrician in here to look at this in detail.

What I learned as a novice: 1) call the company - many companies don't know what QC is anymore 2) Get a voltmeter. The GT-11 volt indicators are 1 dimensional -picking up very safe, low voltage as well as more dangerous voltage. 3) In old houses, there is no such thing as a quick job since they expand expodentially. 4) I'm surprised all very old houses haven't burned to the ground yet

Thanks again to everyone - very helpful!!!

Comment

It looks to me like wire 1 is the source voltage and has a switched wire on A returning through the same cable. Wire 2 is directly wired to 1 and likely feeds another device elsewhere. Wire 3 is switched on B but likely gets its neutral elsewhere????? Wire 4 is not used. Wire 5 is switched on C. Wire 6 is switched on D. I believe your fan source would be wire 1.

Comment

It looks to me like wire 1 is the source voltage and has a switched wire on A returning through the same cable. Wire 2 is directly wired to 1 and likely feeds another device elsewhere. Wire 3 is switched on B but likely gets its neutral elsewhere????? Wire 4 is not used. Wire 5 is switched on C. Wire 6 is switched on D. I believe your fan source would be wire 1.

Comment

It looks like switch is always the main problem of light and ceiling fan. You are not the only person who is experiencing it, some even experienced overheating in their switch. It is a very sensitive issue which may result accident if left unsolved so better consult a good electrician right away. Ceiling Fans
                Last edited by Ainzo; 03-03-2010, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X